Warrant Replacement Upgrade Possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnteChrist, Mar 30, 2009.

1. AnteChrist macrumors newbie

I sent my 15" MacBook Pro (late 2008) in for repair. It apparently had a lot wrong with it, because I had a voicemail message Friday telling me they wanted to replace it. I am calling them back today, but would like to see if I can upgrade to the 17" for an additional fee.

It wasn't available when I bought mine in October.

Do you think they will let me pay the difference for a bigger system?

What's my best chance in getting this done? Just looking for advice from anyone who may have gone through this situation.

2. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

Just ask them if you can upgrade. If they say yes then pay the extra fee, if not well you still get a new one, which you could always sell and then buy the 17 in.

3. chris.robison macrumors regular

I'm going to guess no, but won't hurt to ask...

I think they'll do a straight across or comparable replacement.

For instance:
    I took in my 2.53 for a screen flicker problem, and they replaced with the new 2.66 version because the 2.53 was no longer available.

But you should definitely still try. :D

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If they are asking to replace the machine then, I think they might. I have heard stories from other users about getting machines replaced under warranty and using it as an opportunity to do a cheap upgrade.

5. PLin macrumors 6502

You can pay the difference to add configure-to-order options or upgrade to a different model. They wanted to replace my MacBook Pro in February with a 2.4GHz 15-inch Unibody. I had the option of paying $500 to get the higher end model or $800 to get the model with the fastest CPU. I ended up paying $800 to get the 2.66GHz 17-inch Unibody.

6. isaki87 macrumors regular

It really depends on the person that you are dealing with.... In my instances in dealing with repairs, the people that I have dealt with have always let me do an upgrade if I asked for one.