Warranty? after jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by otolar, Oct 11, 2010.

1. otolar macrumors newbie

I just bought my first ipod touch and I'm clueless on jailbreaking.

I'm thinking about jailbreaking with limera1n. Will that affect my warranty though?

I heard in the past, people just restored ipod in itunes if they wanted to take it back to store or send it in. Will this work with limera1n? If not, when will a jailbreak like this be released?

Thanks!

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

You can restore, as new by iTunes before taking it back to the Store and they won't know any better.

3. otolar thread starter macrumors newbie

Then why does it say 'limera1n is unpatchable' on http://www.limera1n.com/ .

Also, some threads (like these) suggest that restoring isn't working properly with limera1n. They seem to keep getting errors of sorts.

4. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

It means the exploit used to allow the jailbreak is such that Apple cannot patch it in a firmware update. Has nothing to do with the ability to restore or not.

5. otolar thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, so I can update to like 4.2 or whatever they release next and this jailbreak will stay?

6. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

no, it won't stay
    However, the flaw they expoitet to insert the jailbreak would supposedly still be there and they'd just have to port the jailbreak software to supporting 4.2 instead of having to find an entirely new hole