Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Originalbitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
My 2018 Mini has a display hardware problem. Vertical line down center of display. I tried the display on another Mac and no problem. I’ve reset the SMC and booted into Safe Mode and the 2018 still shows the problem. Ran Hardware Test that found no problem. Apple wants me to send it in under warranty however I did swap in a Crucial RAM upgrade back when I bought it last November. It has run great until now. Do I need to swap the original RAM back in before I send it in?

Originalbitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Oddly enough the display problem appeared right after an upgrade to 10.14.6. But Apple thinks it is definitely hardware as the line is there even at boot, it is there in Safe Mode and does not show in a screen capture.

Originalbitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
After some thread sluthing I found a solution to the display problem. Not the most elegant workaround. If I unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable to the Mini after booting the lines are gone. I suspect 10.14.6 since it all started immediately after the update.

Not sending the Mini in to Apple just yet.

jw1806

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
FWIW, I just had a Mac mini 2018 logic board swap to fix an issue with the Bluetooth module.

• I had wanted to send it in, but was told by AppleCare support I’d need to take it to a retail store.
  • The retail store did a logicboard swap (quoted 5 to 7 business days but it took 3.
  • I had third party RAM that they transferred to the new logic board as part of the repair.

Reactions: Originalbitman

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Oldish display?
Minis seem to get pickier about how fast a display reports it is ready to the Mac with each software update.

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Regarding the RAM, Apple always used to say that any Mac taken in to be serviced should contain the RAM/HDD/GPU etc it was orginally shipped with. I found this to be the case when I first sent in my 08 Mac Pro. When it came to be repaired again they were not fussed and said things would be just swapped over.

As Heat_fan, points out, shipping back with stock items means they can't blame you - regardless of whether anything you have updated is the cause of the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.