warranty and 3rd party ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eldaniel7, Mar 1, 2012.

1. eldaniel7 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I got a brand-new mbp and got OWC 8gb ram kit. I also bought the tools to open up the laptop and install it. If I do, do I void the warranty? Should I bring the macbook and the ram to apple for them to install them? how much would it take?

regards

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All RAM is 3rd party, since Apple doesn't make RAM. You'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top of this page:

Apple gives instructions on how to replace RAM in the MacBook Pro User Guide.

3. eldaniel7 thread starter macrumors newbie

what a complete and nicely formatted answer. Thank you for the info and sorry I asked such a "basic" question.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You never know if you don't ask.

5. rainking macrumors regular

Or search and read previous post.

6. Bear macrumors G3

As others have said, no it does not void your warranty. However, do keep your original ram. Under certain circumstances Apple will want Apple supplied memory when warranty issues come up.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

this

also bringing it in with original ram will de-bunk any suggestions your other RAM is causing the issues.

and in a very stange circumstance, Apple might test their own ram and when they return it too you they might not put your upgrade RAM back in