Warranty and receipt problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikhil4tp, Jul 23, 2008.

1. nikhil4tp macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just have one question: What if someone gets a Macbook Pro as a gift (obviously no receipt) and there are some problems with it and the person goes to the support and they ask him for the proof of purchase?

I checked the apple's site (http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/) and they say:

How can I tell if my MacBook Pro is in warranty?
    Visit the MacBook Pro Support page and enter your serial number in the “About Your Support Coverage” box to find out how many days remain on your warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan. Apple may need to examine your proof-of-purchase document to verify your MacBook Pro warranty status.

How will the warranty apply if the person does not have the proof of purchase (but the person may have registered the macbook pro under his name)?

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If the computer has been registered, there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure Apple will give you a gift receipt (without prices) if you ask too.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Like is states, put in the serial number and it will tell you if it is still under warranty. You don't need the proof of purchase to check out how much warranty is left on the computer.

You should call Apple and have the MBP converted to your name. They will need the info from the past owner, but I doubt they will need the proof of purchase. They will probably ask you to fax a statement from the past owner that he gave it to you as a gift.