Warranty beyond AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Oct 31, 2013.

1. marc55, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

One of my main concerns with the newer MBPs are their low user reparability rating, and since everything is now part of the logic board, the battery is glued in, and the more costly Retina screens, repairs will surely be more expensive than in the past. After three years, some of these repairs may not be worth the cost, and that really worries me.

Additionally, there's something about crossing the three year mark where these newer electronics just seem to know it, and begin to fail.

Has anyone found a reasonable warranty after the three year AppleCare runs out?

Edit: This is a USA purchase

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

where did you buy it? in europe you get up to 6 years through various laws

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm UK based too. I don't tend to hang on to my Mac's beyond about 18 months as a rule, but there are third party companies who will extend the coverage provided beyond Applecare.

I'm not sure about the cost though. I always buy AC with all my Apple stuff as it adds greatly to the re-sale value when upgrade time comes along. Depending on where you are you should be able to find a warranty company that suits you.

4. LaravelNick macrumors member

I noticed that John Lewis in the UK are selling these new rMBP machines with a free 3 year guarantee.

The money saved not having AppleCare could then go towards any repairs needed after the three year guarantee has expired.

5. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

No one has purchased a warranty over 3 years?

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

There isnt a official Apple warranty over 3 years.
    But you can put insurance on it from local insurance company.

7. applehead12 macrumors member

If you buy with a US-addressed Amex they automatically double your warranty I think up to an additional year beyond the original warranty...

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, for most mortals, AMEX's extended warranty adds one year.

The exception is with their Centurion (black) card, and then it's up to three years. But that card is about as elite as elite can be, and it has a $2,500/year annual fee ($10,000 first year).

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty/faq.html

9. littlepud macrumors regular

Economically, you are better off just buying a new machine if yours dies after 3 years.