Warranty cover stained screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ByronT, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ByronT macrumors newbie

I recently found out, while looking at a black background, that my Macbook Pro has a discoloration when against a black background - like some sort of a screen stain. I have read other people have had the same problem, but I'm planning on going to the Apple repair shop soon, and I just want to make sure that this problem is fully covered under warranty - since I am unsure!

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Cosmetic issues are not covered by warranty.

And stop looking that those sites!

3. PDE macrumors 68020

It's not a stain, it's backlight bleed that shouldn't be there. I've had all the different displays for the MBP (LG, AUO, Chimei and Samsung) and the only one that didn't have disturbing backlight bleed was the Samsung (but it has slight yellowing at the bottom under normal conditions...). The LG looked the best with regular use, but had a terrible and huge large spot of backlight bleed up the middle that could be seen when watching films in dark rooms. Really ugly. The Chimei and AUO had pretty bad bleed around the edges, with the Chimei being the worst on the left side.

It SHOULD be covered by warranty, but you never know. If it bothers you, you should insist. Just be prepared that the lighting in the Apple Store will not be good to show off the problem. In fact, it seems to hide pretty much any screen defect.

Good luck!

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

officially, backlight "bruising" is covered under warranty.

I took my old 2.33 which had 2 of these splotches in to an apple store and confirmed. Their turnaround was too slow, so i took it to work instead.