Warranty/Display question...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NeGRit0, Nov 2, 2008.

1. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Hey, so i have had my Blackbook Since the Penryn ones have come out. this is my first Mac and i absolutely love it. I tote it EVERYwhere with me. and have had no problems. anywho, on to the questions...

I recently bought a 4GB upgrade kit of Crucial ram. i didnt really want to pay to install it so i figured i would look it up online. i watched a youtube video and it seemed super simple. so i repeated the steps and had 4gb of ram in less than five minutes.

Question 1: Would me installing my own ram void my warranty?

also since the upgrade i have noticed that when i adjust the angle of the screen from the sides my backlight turns off and i have to turn it all the way down and then turn it back up. and most times i have to do it two or three times, because the screen flicks right back off the first couple times. oddly enough though i have tried to replicate this when adjusting from the top of th screen and i can not. this has gone on since i upgraded the ram on thursday night. it is now sunday morning and as i have been reading the news and catching up on emails and what not. about an hour ago i thought my blackbook had turned itself off, but it was actually just the backlight that went out for "no reason". so i closed it, waited a minute or two, then re opened it. about a half hour ago my backlight flickered for a moment but stayed on this time.

Question 2: What should/could i do about my screen?

----------------
    Now playing on iTunes: The LOX - Close Your Eyes
    via FoxyTunes

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

1. Nope

2. Not sure, it could be bad RAM maybe? Have you checked the status of your RAM in the system profiler to see if everything is OK? Resetting your MacBook's PRAM might help too. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

3. NeGRit0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Well im glad my warranty is ok.

I will see about that system profiler. like i said, its my first mac so im not really sure how to troubleshoot on it. ok, checked the system profiler and it said the status is ok on the ram. i will try that link next and report back.

thanks for the response. :)

----------------
    Now playing on iTunes: Kid Cudi - Cudi Get
    via FoxyTunes

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^^ To question #2, it could very well be the RAM and you just do not know. When a user upgrades any part of a machine and experiences issues with it after the fact the best course of action would be to start undoing what you've done.

Take the advice of the above poster. If that does not work then remove the new RAM and place the old RAM back in there. Start up your MB and see if the problem continues. If it does, take it to Apple and let them know what happened.

To question #1. The most interesting part of this is that depending upon who you speak to in the Apple store or on the phone upgrading your ram appears to void your warranty. This is the product of misinformed employees, Geniuses and Sales Staff. I would anticipate this behavior from Sales Staff in the first couple of weeks but never from a Genius. I encountered the exact behavior from a wonderfully intelligent Genius.

The RAM upgrade exposes the logic board, therefore, it would be safe to assume it would not be an upgradeable feature. However, since Apple released an owner's manual and gave advice on how to "boost your mac", the RAM then became an upgradeable feature. Apparently the unibody design didn't leave much room for little doors on the bottom of the casing to which we were all able to change our ram without seeing much of the logic board.

The official answer is no, upgrading your ram on a late 2008 MacBook does not void your warranty.

5. NeGRit0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Ok, well i am at my gf's house and the old ram is at my house. i probably wont be back there until monday to switch it back out.

I did the resetting of the pram (holding command+option+p+r while booting) and that unfortunately didnt help. I will switch the ram back as soon as i can.

thank you both for the responses.

6. eman macrumors 6502a

I just purchased the same Crucial 4Gb ram kit for $18.99 after rebate from Fry's (after rebate) here.

7. NeGRit0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Yeah, did you install the ram yet? how is your mac? self install, or pro?

8. eman macrumors 6502a

The ram should be here Mon or Tue and definitely going to self install. Other here at Macrumors have already ordered this ram and installed it with no problems (thread in marketplace). I thought I would post here so others would know about the deal.

9. NeGRit0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

i think thats where i found out about the ram. and i am lucky enough to have a Fry's in town. i am planning on taking my BlackBook in to Apple on monday. We have three or four official apple stores in town as well.

:mad:the right side of the screen is flickering like a damn candle as i type this...:(

10. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I bought this kit a few weeks ago when it was $23 and haven't had any problems, works like a charm :)