Warranty for new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by akkkmed, Jan 20, 2011.

1. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Hi everyone.
    When I get an iPhone, I'm wondering what Apple protects under their Apple Care warranty? I know not physical abuse, etc, etc, but I've heard of them replacing the housing and back plates before. Also, I've heard of people breaking the toggle switch and saying Apple gives them a replacement, no questions asked.

Can someone please give me a rundown of what Apple typically covers, besides the basic stuff I probably already know? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hardware (manufacturer flaw)
    Software (manufacturer flaw)
    Accessories (headphones, USB cable, wall charger)
    Pretty much anything that wasn't caused by the user.

That said, it really depends on who you talk to. Some geniuses will repair a phone 6 months out of warranty, some will just look at you blankly while you show them display problems on the MBP you bought a week ago and tell you there's nothing they can do because it's not a problem. Generally, be honest, open, and polite and you should be fine.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The people at the Genius bar have heard every story that could possibly be dreamed up about why a certain device is not working correctly. If you try to BS them, chances are almost 100% that they are gonna do exactly what they have to do and no more. As the previous poster said, if you are honest, polite, and maybe a little humble, chances are very good that you will get what you want. There is a recent post here about a guy that dropped his phone as he was getting into his car; as he drove away, he reached for the phone, only to discover it missing. When he got back to where he had been parked, there was his iPhone, or what was left of it after being run over by two tires. He took the pieces to the Apple store, explained what happened, and they replaced if free of charge.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Bizarrely, I think it's the randomness of customer support that gives Apple such high ratings. If it was policy to accept all returns/repairs, it would be abused extensively, and if it was too tight, no one would be happy. By letting the Genius' use their discretion, those with legitimate problems get helped and those without get what they deserve.

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I think that you hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head. I am truly amazed at some of the replacement stories on here. I was reading about one user that got a MBP replaced that had been out of warranty for two years. If there is one common denominator to all this though, it is that most of the users either have or had Applecare.

6. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I recently took a water damaged 32GB 3GS into a apple store more than 4 months out of warranty that was completely dead. I was fully prepared to pay the 199 fee for a replacement (since I have 6 months before I can get a new one), they Tech said they didn't have any 32GB refurbs in but would only charge me the 79.00 battery replacement fee since I had to come back. The replacement arrive the next day, when I went in to pick it up they told me they comped all the fees so I walked out with a new looking refurb free of charge.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I've seen lots of stories like that. Their customer service is absolutely second to none. You know how it goes, you tell one person, they tell two, and on and on. The word gets out and people are buying more and more Apple products.
    I'm a recent convert from Windows to OS X, been using Microsoft since before windows (MS DOS). On a recent visit to an Apple store, my first actually, I was totally amazed at how knowledgeable and helpful that the sales associates were. I left the store $3100.00 lighter, and with a bunch of new goodies. :D I'm also amazed at the simplicity of the OS compared to Windows.;)

8. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the great advice guys. I really do appreciate your time and opinions!

@johndallas999 - Is there some "rule" about $199 replacements or something? This is the stuff I'm interested in as well.

Also, what about the little toggle switch? What is it about those that they replace the iPhone without question?

I'm considering getting a Square Trade warranty for $100. It covers 2 years of accidental damage. There is a $50 deductible. I'm trying to figure this out...

**Edit: And what about housing? If the back of the phone gets scratched up, will they replace the back plate for free? Or what is the charge?

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

They will replace the back on the iPhone 4 for $29 and the whole phone for $199 as long as it is not in a million pieces. I wouldn't bother with insurance. :cool:

10. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. What about cracked screens? Don't get me wrong, I take really, really good care of my electronics. I'm worried now since everything is glass and who knows what can happen...

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

$29 for back, $199(?) for front.

12. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

13. ikaveh macrumors regular

this doesnt seem true they replace the whole iphone for 199$ (even if you have broke it with hammer)

14. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

So SquareTrade's warranty is still a better deal(?)
    $99 for two years. If I break it accidentally, they have a $50 deductible.

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

That's $150 and you send your phone off to see if it can be fixed. :mad:

Sorry, I need my phone. I'll get an instant replacement for $199 from the Apple store. ;)

16. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but after two accidents, it's still only $200, where as the Apple replacement is $200 for just one time.

I guess SquareTrade is the better deal, but it comes down to personal preference about replacement time. They have a 5 day guarantee, which isn't bad. And they either fix it, replace it, or give you the retail value for you to buy your own replacement. Not bad...

17. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've posted this before, and it may not apply in your area, but I've got a personal electronics insurance policy through my State Farm agent. $42/year and I've got $600 worth of coverage on my 3GS.

I drop it and crack the screen? They'll cut me a check for $600.
    Whoops, there it goes into the toilet? They'll cut me a check for $600.
    Leave it laying on a bar stool and lose it? They'll cut me a check for $600.
    Someone steals it out from under my nose? They'll cut me a check for $600.
    Lay it down and the dog takes a dump on it? They'll cut me...well, you get the idea. It covers EVERYTHING.

Supposedly, State Farm sent their agents a memo the end of last summer telling them to NOT insure smart phones anymore (including the iPhone). Some people have first-hand experience with hearing this from their agents. HOWEVER, I just received my renewal the other day (again, $42/year for $600 worth of coverage), so I called and asked my agent if this insurance policy would still cover the iPhone 5 I'll be upgrading to this summer or fall. Yes it will...all I need to do when I receive the phone is give them a call with the new ID number of the new phone, and the insurance will just move over to cover that phone instead of my 3GS.

18. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a really, really good deal!
    That's home owner's insurance I assume?

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Right, but I thik it's because the front you have to replace the screen, the connections, and everything while the back is just the glass. From another thread on this:

20. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Sorry it took me a while to get back to answer this. I had to watch my beloved Kentucky Wildcats play and NOTHING stops me from doing that! :D

I've got all my insurance policies through State Farm. Car, motorcycle, home owner's, and iPhone. The iPhone policy is actually a separate "personal electronics" policy and isn't tied to my home owner's policy in any way.

Now, one thing that MIGHT affect someone being able to get this type of policy (i.e. the other iPhone owners that have been told they no longer do this), is that they don't have all their policies through State Farm. I may be able to keep insuring my iPhones through them because I'm a longtime customer and because I have multiple policies with them. I don't know that for a fact, but it would make sense from State Farm's point of view if you're trying to cut down on people abusing the low-priced insurance (the people that would "lose" or "break" their iPhone in the month leading up to the launch of the newest iPhone).

I would recommend calling your insurance provider first, before taking out one with one of the online insurers. I did a ton of research on the online guys, before I found I could get my policy through SF, and there are some good ones out there that are highly rated. So they aren't a bad fallback if your current insurance provider won't cover it.