Warranty Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .mmon, Jun 20, 2012.

1. .mmon macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've heard that Apple is very good with their warranty. I've seen people on this forum getting their dead Macbooks repaired 2 weeks after their Apple Care has expired for free.

Well my problem is that my trackpad is functioning but is 'double clicking.' That is - when I click down once, two clicks will be heard. I called in two days ago and Apple corporate said to bring it in and they'll see what they could do. I brought it in and they said I had to completely pay for everything - parts, labor etc. They said that the trackpad is still functional but it's worn out. I've tried adjusting the screw on the inside, still the same problem.

Now will Apple 'make an exception' out of warranty for my trackpad? It's only been 11 days since my warranty expired.

Any suggestions? Try again? Go to a different store?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple's official warranty and AppleCare coverage terms and conditions are very clear, and if you're talking to someone who strictly enforces those, you're out of luck. However, it all depends on who you talk to, since there are hundreds of cases where a generous Apple rep bent the rules. Try another store and smile nice!

3. EvenStranger macrumors member

They may, but they aren't obligated to. Occasionally, they'll make an exception, but keep in mind, once the warranty expires, AppleCare doesn't reimburse the store for anything, so the repair literally comes out of the store revenue. Given AppleCare has expired, I'm guessing you have the white 2009 unibody MacBook. If so, iResq.com has the trackpad replacements for $89 right now. If it's a different model, it might be worth checking their website or giving them a call for a quote. For out of warranty repairs, I've found them to be very helpful and reasonably priced.

4. .mmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got off of the phone with a corporate Apple representative after talking with three different service representatives and being put on hold numerous times. All I have to say is that Apple customer service does not disappoint. The rep I talked to was very friendly, personable, professional, and timely. He heard me out, let me talk, and gave good advice on what to do.

The result: They agreed the replace my trackpad with all labor and part costs even though my Apple Care expired 10 days ago. They understood my circumstances and authorized a replacement. So great.

Don't be afraid to contact corporate Apple if you're in a situation - they are very reasonable!

Customer service is superb at Apple. The best, really. :apple:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad it worked out for you!

6. .mmon thread starter macrumors newbie