Warranty Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by theironist08, Mar 22, 2012.

1. theironist08 macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 has very frequent network drops. It's completely random and nothing to do with weak network spots. Certain locations work great sometimes, worse other times. I 'reset network settings' on average 5 times a day. If I'm at my desk, signal is great 60% of time. Then when it drops, I 'reset network settings' and that resolves issue.

I've reported the issue to my network provider and they informed me of the procedure of sending it in to one of their contracted repair shops. I've done this and they claimed that there was no fault recorded and replicated thus they could not repair/send for replacement. That was 6 months ago.

The network provider have been extremely hard to deal with and it's taken this long to get in touch with a manager. He's informed me to drop the phone into another one of this firms shops.

(i) Any thoughts on the actual problem itself?
    (ii) What to mention to repair staff?

I currently have phone interviews and it's awkward not being able to trust phone's signal.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you contact Apple instead of your wireless provider?
    Apple handles their own warranty on their products.
    And they're a lot better with customer service than that.

3. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

Issue with this is that I'm out of apples 1 year warranty. When I contacted the network provider the first time I was informed that I could get it assessed with one of the repair shops or pay something in the region of €200 deposit to get it assessed by Apple.. I was told that in store, by customer services and by a manager.

I've insisted that they still look at it for free as it was reported and not resolved before warranty ran out.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, so you're out of warranty.
    I dont know, I think Apple will replace the phone with an out of warranty fee but not sure how much they charge in Ireland.

5. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

The actual problem

The impression I got off the first repair shop was that they thought I was making the issue up to get a new phone. Which doesn't really make sense as my phone is still new and in perfect condition other than this issue. All they did however is restore it, although they phrased it as 'we completely wiped everything on the phone, then reinstalled the os and updated the software' = simple restore, which I'd tried more than once.

I personally think it's a hardware issue; either dodgy antennae (most likely) or motherboard issue. Anyone else care to suggest what's causing consistent random dropping of signal?