warranty matter for mbp bought from ebay. owner name important? how does it work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macmania82, Jun 5, 2009.

1. macmania82 macrumors regular

when I buy a macbook pro from ebay or such portal, dont i have to change the owner name on for warranty? how does it work if someone else bought and I buy from him? is it only about serial number? owner name important as well?

i want to buy a macbook pro from ebay, i checked serial no. it is under warranty until May 2010, brand new mbp. but i worry about owner name. if i have problem with mbp, will apple support team not ask my name or i dont know :confused: totally confused

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's only about the serial number as far as AppleCare is concerned.

3. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

So It is trustable when I check serial number at https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do , and if it shows sth like;

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)
    Serial #: --------------
    Poland
    Limited Warranty

aha, so you mean it can be problem for Apple Care (3years, etc...)?

if I buy MBP from ebay under first 1 year Limited warranty, can I buy Apple Care (3 year) for my own name later? do I have to do something about that while buying from eBay?

sorry for my silly questions :/

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes...

I don't know what you're asking here.

You have one year from the original date of purchase to buy the extended warranty and register it in order to get 3 years of AppleCare. AppleCare only lasts 3 years, you can't extend it farther.

5. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

hey @miles01110 thanks for clear answers : )

just last question about this;

I buy mbp from a person, not from an apple shop. so that mbp has been registered for the first buyer's name at apple shop. when I buy that mbp from this guy, do I need to go to apple shop to change owner name for my name? will I have any problem when I want to get Apple Care with my name surname?

sorry if I'm asking really silly question : ) but I just feel like not to have even a tiny question left about this before putting all my money at my wallet...

I appreciate your helps! thanks a lot!

6. Griffter macrumors member

Griffter

Hi there,
    If you could clarify the following we can try and help as much as possible :)

1. You brought the mbp off ebay
    2. The mbp is under a year old (i.e. it was brought by the original owner after lets say 5 June 2008)
    3. The mbp does not currently have AppleCare

If this is the case, you can go out and buy AppleCare to add to your laptop. If it is over a year old, you cannot.

IF the laptop already has AppleCare, the owner needs to transfer the registration to you, see this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-674075.html

Basically, they need to provide Apple with the original AppleCare proof of purchase to do this, then you are covered. :)

7. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

:D sorry for confusing

hmm

1. I didnt buy laptop yet. I found a good offer at allegro.pl (portal like ebay). I will buy it ( i want to go for it)

2. mbp is early 2009 version, and it is under a first year warranty (until 5 May 2010)

3. mbp doesnt have Apple Care currently.

my question is, I will buy this mbp from someone, not from apple shop. so it obviously has been registered for the name of guy whom I will buy from. after I buy this mbp from this guy, i want to buy Apple Care for the mbp. I wonder if i will have problem for apple care becaouse of mbp has been registered for someone else name? or am i just ********ting here? :D

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just to be clear, when you buy Applecare, you get an additional TWO years beyond the first year. You don't get an additional 3 years.

9. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

yes yes, my mistake I wrote 3 :)

10. Griffter macrumors member

Griffter

Okie dokie, the answer is that no, it does not matter if the mbp is registered to him, if he does a clean install of osx (which he will/should do) you will reregister it anyway when you boot up os x for the first time :)

Just to clarify, you can buy AppleCare and register it and all should be ok :)

11. boston44 macrumors 6502

You can call Apple Customer Care and give them the serial number and name, and they will transfer everything, owner, warranty, all in your name. It takes about 10 minutes.

12. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

wow finally I have a clear answer for my question :D

Thank you very much for help!!
    this forum really helps a lot! :) I appreciate all you guys :)