Warranty (Not AppleCare)...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrdobo, Oct 13, 2010.

1. mrdobo macrumors member

mrdobo

Just out of curiousity, I asked my girlfriend who works at State Farm to see what a personal articles policy would cost to cover a $2,000.00 MacBook Pro per year.... she said their formula is more or less $1 for every hundred dollars, but the minumum annual payment is $30. So you could potentially ensure a $3,000.00 MBP from drops, spills, THEFT... EVERYTHING... for $30 annually. Why don't more people get this? That beats the damn pants off BestBuy's or SquareTrade's warranty.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Insurance doesn't fix it, only pays to replace.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And there is usually "own risk" payment as well so if it breaks, you have to pay X amount of money if it breaks or something.

OP, I suggest you to read their small print etc, there is often something nasty that doesn't make it so good anymore. It's possible that they do not cover accidental damage or only cover X sum of money etc.

What sounds too good, usually isn't.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

yes, in addition to your premium, you have to pay the deductible which will be at least $250, but depending on your carrier could be $500 or more. you'll also have to check if your coverage affords replacement cost coverage or if the computer is subject to depreciated value.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

A) Not many people know about it.
    B) In some states you have to get it as part of a rider and not as a seperate policy.
    C) They may have already used such a "get out of jail free" card already. Individuals on Dpreview with the same policy are reporting deductibles of nearly $1,000 after your first claim.

but mostly because people don't know about it and/or the believe that it's covered under their homeowner policy (but who would file under their homeowner policy for anything less than a $2000 claim i.e. the 13" mbp?).

And Hellhammer, i've read it and it covers pretty much everything. Fire. Theft. NerdRage. The only thing it doesn't protect against are I believe AoG.

On my previous policy from SF there was no deductible and it was the full insured value.

6. mrdobo thread starter macrumors member

mrdobo

Well I mean seeing as it's my girlfriend (who I live with and share bills with), I'm more inclined to believe there's no catch. Also, I undestand it only replaces the computer. That's what I'm worried about - drops, spills, etc (stuff that AppleCare doesn't cover). However, being the cautious guy I am, I definitely plan on going over all the details very carefully. That being said, I've been told this so far:

It will be $30 annually with no deductible. My belief is that most people believe there's a deductible because that's how a claim would work if this item was under home owners insurance - but it's not... it's a personal article. Now after the first claim, I'm almost positive that the premium would increase substantially if not add a hefty deductible as well. But for the time being... this looks pretty legit.