Warranty not valid for cracked MagSafe cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kinnetic, Jul 6, 2011.

1. kinnetic macrumors newbie

I bought my first Mac (MacBook Pro 17") some 9 months ago and now I have a problem with MagSafe adapter cable. The white plastic cracked under normal operations (I did not cause this myself) and crack just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I am really fearing that it might cause other problems with batteries, etc., not to mention the potential for electric shock.

And now the biggest absurdity — Apple authorised service provider in Croatia, company called iStyle, stated that the will not replace my adapter because physical damage is not relevant for warranty. And yes, I do have a valid warranty service coverage for another two and a half years.

So, I am wondering, am I the only one with this kind of problem? Why would this void my warranty when it is clearly material-caused and I did not make the crack myself?

Also, does someone know Apple support email?
    I would really like to discuss this with someone in authority.

It's an extremely disappointing experience for a $2500 machine. :(

[​IMG]

2. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I understand your concern - I'd email Apple Applecare support in the USA and ask the question.

As a side note, if they won't replace it, you could put a length of heat shrink over it - that would shield the cable and add some extra support.

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i would actually call apple support. that happened to me about a year ago. i brought it in and they didn't even look to see if i was under warranty. they took it and brought out a new one at no cost. i was under warranty but i cant believe they didn't ask.

4. erak, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

erak macrumors newbie

I got the exact same problem with the charger for my MBA 11", which is just 1.5 years old. At first, the area was yellow, then the rubber got a little loose and wasn't longer snug fit to the internal cable. And at last it just ripped open.

kinnetic, we're you able to get a new one? What did you say?

In the conversation with an Apple service provider I linked to this thread and another one with the same problem. But they say It's my own fault and that I must've pulled the cable or something, which isn't true. I've taken real good care of it.

DSC05528.JPG

5. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Just get some electrical tape. It's 99 cents for a million feet of it.

----------

If apple is telling you that the exploding cable is your fault you need to contact your local official and make an official complaint. Like in the US you can call the attorney general and they will come look at it. If their engineers determined that it did indeed explode you're looking at a recall.

6. Dooger macrumors 6502

Apple are replacing broken/frayed power blocks if you take them into your local apple store.

I brought in two recently and on both occasions they were exchanged with no questions asked. One of them was taped together with electrical tape and had begun sparking (I eventually took it in because my wife was worried that I'd burn our house down).

Maybe the exchange policy is different over here, but the two apple stores I used were in Glasgow and Belfast.

By the way, one of the power blocks was from a late 2008 MBP, well out of warranty but the apple store exchanged it without complaint. Quite impressive actually.

7. erak macrumors newbie

The problem is that we don't have any Apple stores in Sweden, only authorized service providers. But they will open one near me later this year I've heard. I will try calling Apple tomorrow.

8. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

While electrical tape is easier, it will move as the cable flexes and leave sticky residue on the exposed parts; heat shrink avoids that.

As a side note, Apple replaced mine at the Applestore without a problem when it frayed.

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

As long as you buy good quality, high heat-resistant electrical tape, such a problem will not exist. Trust me, I use it in high heat applications (securing handlebar tape on road bikes that will see use on 100+ degree fahrenheit days).

10. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

While I agree on using high quality, it's not heat but the movement of the wire that's the cause of the problem. If a cable flexes alot most commonly available tape will separate at the edges from the cable, especially if it is more rigid than the underlying cable.