warranty on jailbroken ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by rtztgue, Feb 14, 2012.

1. rtztgue macrumors regular

I have a jailbroken Ipad with a definite hardware problem. The volume button is stuck into the case. No hardware control for the thing and the software control only works for a second until the stuck hardware button takes over.

Anyway, I was gonna make a genius bar appt but I wanted to determine apples policy on this. I have heard some mixed reviews. The last thing I came across was 9 months ago saying that obvious hardware problems are warrantied no matter the jailbreak condition. Can anyone confirm this?

I know some of you on this site work for Apple, :) any thoughts?

2. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

You might want to do a full restore to non-jb before you go, then you can re-jb once it's fixed (or you're handed a replacement).

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

restore the ipad back to ios 5.0.1 without jailbreak just to be safe. I doubt they'd say anything but would suck to make the appt and go in for them to say no.

4. zerocool5878 macrumors newbie

Definitely do a restore now and take care of it. That way your new one will be jailbreakable. Once they release 5.1 apple will be replacing devices with newer firmware. there won't be another jailbreak for a long time I imagine.