Warranty on macbook ending soon- batter concerns.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Waaa.t, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Waaa.t macrumors newbie

The warranty on this laptop is ending soon, but its battery life has not ended. I'm curious if I can send it in and have it replaced at its current state?

Also one of my USB ports has malfunctioned (Win7/OSX) which is another reason to send this in; but I've heard I can fix that problem by removing the batter temporary- which I hear will void my warranty.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hi,

User-upgradeable parts on cMBPs are the hard-drive and RAM. Although the battery is easy to remove you will void your warranty if they find out you've done it.

Furthermore, even if you were to get extended warranty on your computer, batteries are deemed to be a consumable item and therefore only have a one-year warranty.

I appreciate that if it's still within its 1st year warranty, you should be able to get a replacement battery through Apple. However they can only do this if the battery health is below a certain percentage, and if the total amount of charges is below a certain number. This means that if your battery is depleted within 6 months of you having it but exceeds a certain number of charge cycles, they still won't be able to replace it.

My recommendation: go to your local Apple Store and have them take a look at the USB port issues. Also mention the battery and see if they can replace that for you.