Warranty on unused iphone 4 on ebay - when does it start?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Sep 4, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I've seen some iPhone 4's on ebay that are advertised as new/unused and never plugged into itunes.

Does the warranty begin when a SIM card is added and first used on ATT network? Or do you have to contact apple to activate the warranty?

What should I be aware of when buying from ebay vs. apple store?

My iphone 3g died, I'm off contract, and do not want to get back on contract?

If I buy iphone 4 do i just cut the sim on my 3g down to microsim size and insert?

Thanks.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It starts once you buy the iPhone from the store.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

It has to be activated on iTunes first. Otherwise the ones on eBay could have no warranty if they were bought last June.

5. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

If the phone was bought last June and not activated won't the iphone 4 still be on warranty?

Do you think it's a good idea to get iphone 4 from ebay? Apple wants $650 without contract.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Just what I thought...

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

Of course phones that have been sitting on a shelf for the last year aren't still going to have a valid warranty...

7. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Explains why seller didn't respond to if phone still had warranty.

Anyone know where they are getting all these new, unused, in box iphones? seem to be a flood of them on ebay and I'm not sure if i should pay ebay prices(400-500) or $650 for contract free iphone.

have you purchased an iphone 4 on ebay and did u have any problems? will apple extend applecare with a phone purchased on ebay?

8. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

Applecare has to be purchased & activated BEFORE the original 1 year warranty expires.

9. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I have bought and sold iPhones on eBay and caigslist... I sold my wife's 4 so that I could buy a white one for her... Since it was Verizon there was no issue with warranty.... Any Apple device can have it's serial number run and find out the remaining warranty.... If the seller won't give it to you, move on. Simple as that. I love eBay and craigslist... Common sense and documentation and you can save a load of money.... Trust, but verify.