Warranty Question - Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Heinekev, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Heinekev macrumors member

Hello everyone

I purchased a macbook Unibody back in October 2008 when they were released and use it heavily. The battery no longer holds a nice long charge - I get about 2 to 2.5 hours out of a full charge.

The battery has 149 cycles on it, which is obviously high (and correct, I use the hell out of it). With it still being in warranty, is it worth pursuing a replacement battery? Will Apple tell me to go take a hike with the high cycle counts?

2. Wraz macrumors regular

yea i got a 13 inch macbook aluminium last friday, and the only problem i got is probaly the battery life. its like draining it really fast.

3. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I don't think batteries are covered by warrantee because they are entirely user independent.
    Have you got cockonut battery, if so, check how the capacity (mah) of your bettery is doing. I've had my macbook for over 5 months and its at 99% which is pretty good.

4. SailorTom macrumors regular

By all means try. I doubt they will though. Batteries are exempt from warranty. They are considered 'disposable' or something. I managed to get them to replace a battery once, but that was because a battery firmware update broke it and I complained a lot.

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I bought my MacBook the same time you did. About 1 month later my battery health was down to 70 some %. My full charge was only about 1 1/2 hours.

I took my MacBook in to Apple and they replaced the battery right away. No questions asked.
    My new battery is at 176 cycles and still 99% health. Fluctuates down to 97 sometimes..

But anyways, Take yours in because I'm sure they will replace your battery.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Typically they'll replace the battery if it has under 300 cycles and a capacity below 80% of the original capacity, and it's less than 1 year old as reported by System Profiler.

7. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

8. mosx macrumors 65816

What miles said.

They'll replace it if its less than 80% capacity before hitting 300 cycles. iStat Pro and Coconut Battery will tell you your batteries health and age.