Warranty Question: Loose Key... AND NOW dead pixel....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jackc00, Nov 19, 2008.

1. jackc00 macrumors newbie

This is the new aluminum Macbook. I have had it since Oct 18th. Today, I noticed this... My question is that...
    • I bought this online, and so would I have any problem if I bring this in store without any receipt? There was no receipt when I got it except for the shipping slip.
    • I have InvisibleShield applied on it. Should I take it off before bringing her in?
    • In your opinion, how would they handle this problem? Replace the keyboard or the laptop?

Update: As I was cleaning my Macbook just a few minutes getting ready for Genius appointment in a few hrs, I found there's a dead pixel on the LED.... WTF....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

It won't snap back into place? (the little notches where it pivots)

3. jackc00 thread starter macrumors newbie

No... I tried, but every time when I typed on it, it came loose... very annoying.

4. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

They can check the serial number for the warranty, take off the InvisibleShield and they should replace the case containing the keyboard.

5. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Apple warranties it for a year. I would call Apple. They will set you up a genius appointment and get it fixed for you.

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

It doesn't matter where you bought it or if you have a receipt. If you did not break it, Apple will repair it.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you bring in your machine, it'll have the serial number on it. Because the warranty is tied to the serial number, you don't need a receipt for warranty purposes.

Just the other day, coincidentally, I had a loose key on my 06 MBP, and because I had a long day, I didn't want to bring the whole laptop. So all I brought was the loose key itself, and they gave me a replacement. It took a little convincing but I think the guy didn't want to waste time arguing over such a small item.

Bring it in anyway, just to see if there is anything else wrong, like the key socket mechanism-y thing.

8. buckeye17 macrumors member

What if you bought it off eBay?

9. jackc00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Leaving the InvisibleShield on shouldn't void the warranty right?

10. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

What about eBay, what about Craig's list, what about the trunk of Joe's car in the back of an alley? It doesn't matter. Apple warranties all products for 1 year.

11. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

No, it does not void the warranty. They will not bat an eye at your shield for problems with your keyboard.

12. jackc00 thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the info.

13. buckeye17 macrumors member

When does the warranty begin then?

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

When the purchase is made from Apple.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

And if it's purchased from the 3rd party retailer? (Which is what I think the other poster was getting at.)

How does Apple know if the laptop was sold right when the retailer got it, or sat on a shelf for 4 months before being sold?

16. jsonli macrumors member

17. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Assuming you meant online from Apple store, not ebay. That shipping slip is your receipt. You don't need it this time, but hang on to it. In case you have problem in the future right around the one year mark, this is the proof of when exactly your warranty starts/ends.

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Well then you fax your receipt to Apple and they will fix your warranty status...

19. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I bought mine from an Authorized Apple dealer (not Apple store), my Apple online warranty status is correct to the date. They must have provided the information to Apple after the sale, at least in my case.

But if it is not an authorized dealer, it may be a different story.

20. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

The year and week of your Mac build are embedded in the serial #. Those guys at Apple are kinda smart, this is how they know.

21. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

ahh! it burns!:eek:

all they need is your computers id # iThink... the slip is extra proof!

22. jackc00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys, I have an appointment with Genius in a few hours and just as I was cleaning my Macbook, I found another defect.....!!!!!!! There is a pixel on the LED.... OMG..... They'd better replace the whole thing.

23. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

In this case, it may be a good idea to remove your invisible shield. You need to return the torn pieces for a free replacement. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They won't give you a new MB for one dead pixel and it would be cheaper for them to repair that keyboard than it would be for them to swap the machine out. I'd think.

Also, if you don't remove your shield you can't get another from IS.

25. jackc00 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do I tell them as the reason for replacement??