Warranty question on new iPad (UK)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KevinM2, Oct 11, 2011.

1. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

I hope someone can answer a couple of quick questions re the warranty start date on my new UK iPad.

1. I bought this from a non Apple store a few weeks ago as a gift for my wife for Christmas. It is still boxed, and sealed, so has never even been switched on, let alone plugged into iTunes.

Obviously, I would like the warranty to start at Christmas when she gets to open/use it. Will this be the case?

2. The serial number is on the box. What would it show if I typed it into Apples warranty checker if it hasn't been activated/plugged into iTunes? Is there a danger that by even checking the serial number this way, it might start the warranty clock ticking? I just would like to check, that's all.

Thanks for the help :)

Kevin

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

The warranty starts as soon as the barcode is scanned at the register. You can check the warranty status at any time, but just be aware that your device will already be 2 months into the standard warranty by Christmas.

3. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a shame, but thanks for the info anyway.

Cheers,
    Kevin

4. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

If it's still unopened, you could always sell it on eBay as new for close to retail value...

Plus, John Lewis are currently offering a free 2-year warranty on iPads...

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I was under the impression that it begins upon activation, but you may as well check the code online