Warranty Question: Stuck pixels with user upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wyatt23, Jun 24, 2008.

1. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

So there has been one black stuck pixel on my computer (white macbook) for a while, but just recently another sprouted up directly next to it, within a centimeter away (if not closer).

however, i have upgraded the hard drive myself, and i changed the keys from white to black.

if i call apple for my display problem, will they void my warranty or give me a hassle over my personal upgrades?

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Hi,

From what I've heard, a couple of stuck/dead pixels is not covered by apple. There has to be more than 7 or something like that for them to even consider a replacement. My Macbook has about 5, including 2 new out the box.

The HD upgrade doesn't void your warranty, but I don't know about the keys.

3. JayMan8081 macrumors regular

It may also depend on how you go about trying to get it fixed. I bought a MacBook RevA and it had two red pixels on the screen right out of the box. I took it back to the Apple Store where I bought it and told them I wanted to exchange it for another one because of the stuck pixels. They didn't give me any hassle and went ahead and performed the exchange. Not sure if you'd want to try doing that (would need to put original hard drive back in) or not.