Warranty Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justaphone, Feb 21, 2011.

1. justaphone, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

justaphone macrumors member

So... I have a 15 MBP. Fully loaded. I noticed about 5 months ago that the there seemed to be a 1 inch strip running down the left side of the screen- like the left edge of backlighting is brighter than the rest of the screen. It is most noticeable with a black or dark background. I finally got time to take it to the genius bar- I do not live close to an apple store, so it was just not a priority. Anyway the genius took one look at it, and said it was not normal and would be a display issue. He went to check my warranty to start the repair process...

Now for the tough part... I fell out of my 1 year warranty at the end of this past July. The price I was given to replace the display was $495. I just said thanks, but no thanks right now- I was very polite and advised them of my finding this several months ago, but not having time to get it to the store- not pushing hard... He just said he was really sorry (and did make a point to remind me of apple care for the future). :(

Oh, and I picked up an 11" 1.6/4gb/128gb MBA and LOVE it!!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Despite your thread title, I don't see a "warranty question"- just an account of your issue and what happened (or didn't happen). Do you actually have a question?

4. wpotere Guest

42!

That is, if your question is "what is the meaning of life?"...

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

OK ... I will ask the question ... why did you wait 5 months?

6. justaphone thread starter macrumors member

Wow. I get enough sarcasm at home...

My question was: Am I done, or do any of you have any other suggestions on how I can present my case?

I waited five months because I had several issues occur during July, and simply did not have time to drive several hours to the Apple store to get what at the time I was not sure if it was something they would even address.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not sarcasm. You didn't ask a question. We're not mind-readers.
    You're done.

8. justaphone thread starter macrumors member

I figured, but wanted to ask the group, as I wondered if this was an issue that might be worth trying a different angle.

9. skier777 macrumors 6502

Just so you know in the future, Apple offers mail back warranty service. Ive found that almost always, they are more likely to do things like just send you a brand new _______ if you send them a broken one. I went from an iPod Mini G1 to G2 in this fashion. It made absolutely no difference.

10. wpotere Guest

You could take it in and be nice. Maybe they will take pity on you but I have a feeling that you are done...

11. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Dude -- you are FAR from done! You've got a MBA that you love and are using, so no pressure on that front, and...

[Creepy music swells...]

...a MBP that needs surgery and no one else to do it.

[...ominous thunder and lightning...]

You need:
    (1) Somebody's wrecked MBP from eBay that has an intact screen, and
    (2) a tool kit and how-to guide from ifixit.com.

Now, don your lab coat, take your "subjects" down to your labohratory, and see if you can harness the very FORCE of LIFE ITSELF!!!

Mwahhhahahaha!

(BTW, you could do a "We can make him faster...blah, blah, blah...Million-dollar-man" theme too, but I'm more a fan of the classics rather than the whole "retro" meme. Not judging -- you have to pick your own personal...um...you know...uh....

Idiom, sir?

Yes! idiom!

And you might as well do thermal paste while your in there.)

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Why didn't you take 5 months ago again? Just because it's so far away doesn't excuse yourself from taking it to apple store.

Apple offers 1 year warranty on every products they sell. Also, I would recommend checking with your credit card company if they offer extended warranty. (If you paid with credit card that is)

If you paid in cash or gift card, then you are out of luck.