Warranty Recommendation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tharius, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Tharius macrumors newbie

There are so many different types of warranties out there I'm not sure which one is exactly the best to purchase for my iPhone 5s.

Does anyone have any recommendations? (My phone is through Sprint)
    Bestbuy
    Apple
    Sprint
    ProtectYourBubble
    SquareTrade

2. Amiz macrumors regular

I think you should buy AppleCare once your Apple 1 year warranty expires because it extends the warranty to two years and covers water damage etc.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Cheapest would be to purchase it using an Amex or equivalent with extended warranty protection as that doubles the warranty (notice you asked about warranty, not insurance).

Purchasing AC+ has to be done in the beginning. No more waiting until the last minute to purchase it.

4. mpantone, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

When people ask these type of questions, they typically do not know the difference between a warranty, an extended care plan, and insurance.

Amex does not double warranty protection technically. It extends the original protection by one year. If the original warranty is one year, yes, it ends up being two years. If the original warranty is six months, then it ends up being 1.5 years.

The original poster is highly encouraged to read the terms and conditions of each extended care plan (e.g., AppleCare+) and the various insurance plans as there are different coverages as well as different fees/deductibles associated with obtaining service.

There is no "best" plan since it's up to the individual to assess risk, cost, convenience, etc.

For me, I always purchase consumer electronics, big ticket items (e.g., appliances) and major travel expenses (hotel, air, rental car) on my Amex for its superior cardholder benefits. I don't bother with extended care plans like AppleCare+ nor cellphone insurance plans.

5. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I have owned MANY Apple devices and have never purchased any extra warranty and have never had reason to use any warranty. Worth it to me as the money saved would replace a device and I would still be ahead.

BUT, there are some who drop their phone all the time . . . . just saying some might need to buy the warranty!

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not true on the latter. It extends the original warranty for a period of time equal to the duration of the original warranty, up to one additional year. So it basically mirrors the original manufacturer's warranty of one year or less, essentially doubling it (in our case). The six month warranty in your example would end up being 1 year.

If you purchase AC+ with it, it mirrors the original warranty at the end of AC+ coverage, for a total of 3 years of protection (no accidental damage protection in the last year).

7. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Sorry, but that's not true. I encourage you to read the terms and conditions of your extended care plan...

8. ABC5S, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

ABC5S macrumors 68040

There is a flaw to that statement in bold....After one year than get the apple care + warranty ? What happens if the OP gets the damage before the one year ? The first year is for issues with the iPhone not damage from drops and spills.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_us_tc.pdf

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Applecare+ has to be purchase within 30days of purchase, and have to bring it into the store to be checked

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Absolutely correct. My mistake

11. 1DApple macrumors member

If you call Apple in the 1st 30 days you can buy it over the phone no need to go in.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

It used to be you had to do it in person.. the supposed idea was to prevent people buying warranties after they damaged something.

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

I am no expert on the American Express warranty, but I have heard this fact disputed. The American Express warranty extends the original manufacturer warranty. It does not extend service plans, which is what AC+ would be considered. If that is true then the American Express card gives no additional coverage after AC+ expires.

It is still possible to purchase the standard AppleCare, and I think it can still be done as long as the phone is still covered under the one year warranty.
    They don't advertise it, but when I went to get my broken phone replaced they told me I had regular AppleCare and even though I had purchased AC+. I told them that's impossible since they stopped selling it, but they assured me that you could still come in and buy regular AppleCare. Luckily I was able to show them my original receipt. So don't forget to save you receipt even if you purchase from Apple.

SquareTrade is a good option as well, but they recently raised the deductible to $100. I like SquareTrade because of the additional year of warranty available over AppleCare+. I also like to get the carrier insurance in case I lose the phone, especially when it is new.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It does allow one to purchase a manufacturer's extended coverage and it'll tack on and mirror the original warranty once the original and extended coverage expires. You just need to also purchase AC+ on the same card.

From Amex's description of benefits:

15. dave420 macrumors 65816

Interesting. So do you think that means it would extend a SquareTrade warranty by one year as well? (4 years total)
    I bought two iPhones with an American Express, but didn't buy the plans (AC+ on one, SquareTrade on the other) with the American Express card. Do you think I would still get the extra year? I guess I will find out for sure if I have a problem during that last year.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good question. One of the exclusions is third party service contract as follows:

"Purchases Not Covered 11. Additonal service contract or extended warranty coverage for a computer, computer component or part that You buy which already comes with an original United States of America manufacturer's warranty, unless such coverage is provided and administered by the original manufacturer;"

Given that AC+ is provided and administered by the original manufacturer, you'd be covered in the third year (although they may give you trouble as they have no record that you actually purchased AC+ as you didn't charge it to the card). You're out of luck with SquareTrade.

Next time, purchase both the iPhone and AC+ using the same Amex card.

17. 1DApple macrumors member

Thats what they told you. However if you call in to AppleCare they will sell it to you over the phone and auto register it. You also receive a confirmation in the mail.

18. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

@OP Get the one that you think suites you best. You peace of mind.. If you are looking for a plan that covers accidental damage or plan that covers stolen… basically get the plan that covers most of your needs.

Squaretrade starts $99 + $75 deductible

AppleCare+ $79 + $79 service fee.

Best Buy $150 - up to 3 claims

I've only seen or used BB and AC+. AppleCare and the turn around time was mostly same day. Best Buy was pretty solid too but I've only seen people have their phones replaced. Never used them directly.

Not sure on what Sprint will replace or how they repair.