Warranty Replacement Change Device

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JWalker1995, May 8, 2015.

1. JWalker1995 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a Genius appointment on Wednesday where hopefully my iPhone 6 will be replaced due to some Camera/Bend Issues.
    What is the chance I can have 6+ replacement model if I pay the difference in price?

Thanks

2. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

Theres a better chance of Cook dating Sundar. Dont bank on it

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Like the above poster said there is no chance.

If you bent the 6 you will bend the 6+ for sure.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not going to happen.
    Against policy.
    You will get the same model, color and storage as the one you have now.
    They don't allow warranty replacement swaps even if you offer to pay.

5. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Yep won't happen.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, you can't even ask for a different color, let alone a different model.

7. DMCG1 macrumors newbie

I got a Genius Bar replacement once before from an iPhone 3G to a 3GS but only because the genius was incredibly rude. Keep in mind that I never requested a replacement from a 3G to a 3GS.

I needed an out-of-warranty replacement for my 3G, but the genius quoted me 4 weeks for a model to come in. He checked inventory at all other stores (I'm from the Silicon Valley) but no store had a compatible model available. He said that he was more than willing to replace my 16GB 3G with an 8GB 3G for the same price but there was none available within 30 miles. Keep in mind that this was during the time that the iPhone 5 was out, so I understood that there would be some sort of transit time, but this guy was just rude.

He acted like I was trying to get a replacement for free, said that if I did not want to pay money upfront that I shouldn't seek out a replacement, that all out of warranty genius service required some sort of payment. I slid my debit card across the counter to which he replied "since you have money, its easier for me to upgrade your line and cheaper for you". After that statement, I walked away.

I then got an email from Apple saying "How did your appointment go?", basically a survey, and I let them know what happened. The next afternoon, the manager from the store called me and apologized and invited me to come in and pick up a 16GB 3GS, available immediately, for the out-of-warranty price.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I had to have a 3GS replaced at the same time because of a battery problem where it was expanding. Apple did a CS override to get me a new phone, I just had to go to the store and get it (free of charge). The Genius said that he didn't think they had any 3GS replacements left, but he would check anyway. If they didn't, they would just give me an AT&T i4 Black/16GB (same as the 3GS).

They had 1 3GS left and it just so happened to be the exact model of mine. I was fine with that because its just a collectable and I already had a 4.

They technically can upgrade you to another model but only if they don't have the part/phone in stock and will not be able to get it for a while. Otherwise, they will either to have order you a replacement or send you to another store. Considering this is a 6, I'd say no. I was having major problems with my 5 and the store I went to didn't have my model, but they had it in Black/Slate. I was fine with either but the Genius said it wasn't possible but they would be getting a shipment of my model in soon. It just depends on the availability of the model you need replaced.

9. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Yep I know someone who ordered white and want space gray. He figured he would say there was something wrong with his white model and try to get a replacement for space gray and it was a strong no go. So he had to make a return for his white model and order and space gray.

WON'T happen getting a 6 plus replacement when you have a 6.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

After reading these great stories, I have heard that Apple will offer a different model if they do not have one that matches your broken unit.

I can see then not having another 6 to replace yours. At worst they would give you a brand new one of they did not have a refurb.

11. CanadaMaple macrumors member

Here in Canada, after the 4s had been out some time. 3GS replacements were offered to upgrade to an iPhone 4 for 49$ on top of the OOW fee (for out of warranty units). A friend of mine was able to swap her 3GS 32GB Black for a 4 32GB Black.

Was a good deal for many. No idea if they offer the same now for iPhone 4.

Also they were replacing white 4's with 4s quite often. I think that had even hit the news sites, due to it happening widespread across North America at the very least.

Having a 6, Apple will only give you like model. Them not having one is stock I doubt very much.

12. chabig macrumors 68040

About the same as taking your Toyota in for warranty service and walking out with a Lexus.

13. JWalker1995 thread starter macrumors regular

Im sure any garage would be happy to upgrade me, as I've already said, I'm happy to pay the upgrade fee

14. chabig macrumors 68040

Apple doesn't buy used iPhones like a car dealer buys used cars. The upgrade fee for moving from an iPhone 6 to a 6 Plus starts at $749 for SIM free 16GB model and runs to $949 for the 128Gb model. You only said you were willing to pay the difference in price.

15. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Unless you're within the 14 day return period.

Replaced my iPhone 5 64gb for a white 32gb and was refunded the cash difference a few years back.

16. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Nope, they won't do retail swaps. Apparently it is a big no-no with iPhones in store. Otherwise, I hope the store would have been kind enough to do a retail swap on my iPhone 5 at some point between the fourteen Genius Bar replacements. Hell, not even Executive Customer Relations would do a retail swap on the phone.

----------

Well that wouldn't be considered a warranty exchange for a white box phone, that would be a retail exchange. Big difference.

17. Brian Y macrumors 68040

New unit swaps are only allowed as an exception, and then can't come from store stock.

As for upgrading from model to model, it has been done in the past. When a model was constrained, or for a particular issue. But it's incredibly rare.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's different.
    You can return it under 14 days and get anything you want.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sorry but I have personally watched an Apple Store do this swap before. So there are exceptions.

20. CanadaMaple macrumors member

A friend of mine was able to get a retail swap for her iPhone 4 here in Canada. After numerous issues. But it wasn't even the store that got it done, it was AppleCare Service Operations in Markham, Ontario.

They were very reluctant but shipped the replacement to the store, brand new retail package. And she returned the old one with box to the store (who I'm guessing then shipped it out to AC-SO)

I've only ever heard of it happening that ONCE. So its definitely not a normal thing. Although after numerous times it should be.

-CM

21. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

WTH? I had numerous replacements with that 5 for Wi-Fi issues and when I asked for a retail swap (and the 5 was still being sold) I was rejected by the Store, AppleCare Senior Advisors, Customer Relations, and Executive Customer Relations (the people who call you after emailing Tim Cook). I ended up having to pay out of pocket to get my 5s, which (like my current 6 Plus) had no problems with the same Wi-Fi network. The only things I got out of it were wasted time, wasted gas, frustration, my account 'flagged' and being called a liar.

This is like when the store didn't want to repair my 2011 15" MBP and made me pay to replace it with a new model. :mad:

22. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Not going to happen. Last February  upgraded me from
    A 5c to 5s, but it was after six 5c replacements. Finally I was fed up with getting a Genius Bar appointment every other week to replace my phone. I emailed Tim Cook and the executive offices called me back. From there they apologized for all of my time. They upgraded me too 5s, gave me a $100 iTunes gift card and an  leather case in black.

Again this was AFTER 4 replacement devices and 2 out of the package brand new devices

23. Banich2 macrumors regular

It really all depends on which genius you get. However, since 6+ models are not as plentiful as the regular 6, I doubt they'd run out of 6s and not 6+s. I had to replace my black iPhone 4 5 separate times and tried to get a white one in its stead to no avail.

24. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

You can always ask, but it's highly unlikely.

Whether your phone is replaced or just repaired, your best bet would be to sell it afterwards and put the proceeds towards a brand new 6 Plus, which would then come with a new 1-year limited warranty.

Even better (perhaps) - wait for the launch of whatever will replace the current 6 Plus in / around September and buy that.

You might also want to add AppleCare+ next time - covers accidental damage as well as potentially helping with resale speed and/or value if you sell your next model before 2 years are up.

Edit: Ha! I'd read the whole thread, but hadn't realised it was so old. The suggestion might be helpful to others, so I'll leave it up anyway. :oops: