All iPads Warranty replacement of non-functioning iPad I bought second hand.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tritto, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Tritto macrumors member

Hi. First post after a long time lurking.

I have the opportunity to buy a perfect cosmetic condition iPad 3 that apparently has a dead battery. Won't boot. Starts and shuts down immediately. Will apparently go into dfu mode when connected to iTunes but won't restore.

Now it's over 12 months old, but in Australia Apple is required by law to offer a two year warranty.

If I buy it and take it to the local apple authorised store (who process warranty claims on apples behalf as there is no apple store in my state), will they simply check that the battery is shot and process a claim, or will they want to know the Apple ID that it's currently linked to?

At this point I don't know if it's on iOS 6 or 7 and if it's on 7 the there is no way to turn off find my phone because it won't boot or restore. I Imagine find my phone is irrelevant if it won't boot anyway.

What do you reckon, will Apple (or their rep) be fussed that it's not registered to my Apple ID?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Warranty is attached to device not person

3. charlituna, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

As I recall that is a two year lemon law not a warranty. Which means that it might only be valid if the original owner makes a claim and only if he can prove the issue existed when it was bought or arose within a few months after (like within six). You might want to verify the laws and who are the appropriate parties before you push it and end up making an ass out of yourself. With no actual Apple store nearby you wouldn't want to piss off an authorized shop demanding service you legally don't get (ie the law might say you have to go back to where it was bought and it was from an Apple store).

Keep in mind that even under Australian consumer law some issues aren't a matter of defect or unfitness. You believe it is a dead battery. Batteries consume. It's an iPad 3 which means that it is up to two years old. The notion that it might have passed the guaranteed number of charge cycles in a natural lifespan isn't far fetched. Which means, without further proof, saying it was defective when bought doesn't really wash even under consumer law. So you might find yourself up the creek

And if the iPad was registered with find my iPad under iOS 7 you may be required to deactivate that to get any service. I know at the actual Apple stores you do. Pretty sure the authorized service providers would be in the same software (which blocks it with no bypass options)

You can remove an item via the iCloud website. And since it is a server side issue (which is why you can't jailbreak your way around it or DFU it off) it is always relevant.

4. Tritto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks charlituna. Your interpretation that the Australian consumer law 'warranty' links to the original purchaser proved correct.

I visited the local Nextbyte store (Apple agent). I told them the full story (best to be completely up front I think) and they told me there would be no problem at all getting an ACL claim replacement (based on the serial number it's about 18 months old) but Apple require them to sight the proof of purchase. No proof of purchase no service! They said Apple may waive this requirement and gave me a number to ring if I wanted to try. Very helpful all around.

Given the uncertainty about getting a working replacement and no guarantee that find my phone is turned off (impossible to be sure when it won't boot) I don't think I'll proceed with the purchase (the thread title is misleading, I haven't bought it yet).

Thanks again.