Warranty Replacement Voided Verizon EDGE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qkx5, Oct 28, 2014.

1. qkx5 macrumors newbie

Hi -

Just wondering if anyone else has had this situation or if you had more insight on how to deal with this..

- I had an iPhone 5s on Verizon EDGE
    - During the year, I had to get a warranty replacement through Apple. Apple gave me a new iPhone 5s at the store.
    - Upgraded to iPhone 6 through EDGE
    - Verizon returned my iPhone 5s because it was not the original one that they sent me and stuck me with almost a $1,200 bill. Charging for the remainder of the 5s EDGE and full price for the iPhone 6.

Customer support is getting me no where in terms of:
    - Did the warranty replacement through Apple really void my EDGE eligibility?
    - If I return my iPhone 6 will I get that phone credit back? I have had the phone for over the 2 week period now.

If I had a defective phone and Apple chose to replace it, I do not see why that would void my EDGE program.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this since CS is getting me no where?

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Have you been firm in asking to speak to supervisors? Bottom level CS agents are as good as useless.

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I don't have any experience with this but that just doesn't sound right to me. If Apple wasn't supposed to replace your device then Verizon should have made this known at purchase? Perhaps you need to ask them to show you where in fine print that they have a right to do this? Anyway just a suggestion. I would definitely get this escalated.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I mean, if worse comes to worst you're going to have to sell the 5S and use the money to pay Verizon, but it still doesn't seem right.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Doesn't sound right. Although you would probably come out ahead if you sold the 5s and now have the 6 free and clear. Lower monthly payments and free to leave when you want. :cool:

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Time after time you guys make me so glad I stopped dealing with the carriers and all their silly financing games.

Goodluck, get it strsightened out and go contract free.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No. This is absolutely not something he should have to do.
    A warranty replacement of an iPhone that is on the EDGE plan does not void the warranty as far as I can tell. I could not find anything that suggested this anywhere on Verizon. I did not look long though. Notwithstanding, the OP brought in a fully functional iPhone 5S to Verizon and traded it for a new iPhone. He is definitely not in the wrong here and someone higher up than some entry-level CSR needs to be on that phone. I would likely, at this point, walk into a Verizon store and talk to someone there. I would not give them a single penny towards that $1,200 bill.

----------

It's not a silly financing game. He did exactly what the EDGE program expects him to do. Got a phone, returned a fully functional phone for another. The warranty replacement complicated things but Apple has a record of this replacement. That documentation is going to be helpful to the OP.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Escalate the issue because Verizon obviously screwed up, thinking you purposely sent them a different iPhone than originally received.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Call Verizon and ask to speak to a second level customer service representative. They shouldn't invalidate your Edge plan simply because Apple replaced a defective phone under warranty.

10. 617aircav Suspended

Edge is a bigger rip off than I thought it was.

11. *KID* macrumors regular

1200.00? Seriously? You can get a brand new iphone 6+ 128 for less than that...

I would speak to a manager, and if no satisfaction then their boss and up the chain until it's corrected.

12. qkx5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing something before pushing the issue further in VZW.

..Here goes nothing!

13. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

The OP was charged for the remainder of the 5S installments and the full price of the 6. That is why it was $1200.00.

14. *KID* macrumors regular

That makes more sense, but they are still wrong. Good luck OP!!
    Let us know how you make out!

15. 617aircav Suspended

Why people need a carrier program to upgrade beats me. Buy your phone outright and upgrade when you want.

16. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Oh, I agree that it's wrong. I was only pointing out why the OP was charged that much.

17. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I have T-Mobile but usually in this situation you'd just update the IMEI in their system with the Apple replacement and you'd be fine.

I hope you can get this settled!