Warranty Voided? SSD + Optibay HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by csunflip, Jul 20, 2010.

1. csunflip macrumors regular

Getting my 15" this week with a Vertex 2 on the way.... =)

Will this void warranty?

I want to move HDD to Optibay with the newmodeus optibay HDD enclosure.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Unless you break something while doing it, no, it should not. However, this depends on the genius you are dealing with, some are bitchier than others.

3. csunflip thread starter macrumors regular

I figured much...I will try to be as gentle as possible.

They don't have those "void if broken" stickers on any of the components?

Just being paranoid....wifey will kill me regardless when she finds out I bought the Vertex 2.

So might not matter cause she might smash it....

4. Mirabella macrumors regular

When I called Apple Support and asked this, I was told that it only voided the warranty of the removed optical drive, not the whole laptop computer.

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Keep the optical drive and put it back in if you need something warrantied.

6. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

ditto. Apple has no way of knowing otherwise. Just be careful, and if you do break something be honest.

7. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Be careful, but you'll have to try ridiculously hard to break or short circuit something. Just don't ever have liquids around you.

8. Xenophon macrumors regular

From the AC North America terms and conditions:

Seems to me that unless you break something, it shouldn't invalidate your warranty, however if you modify anything you do open a door for them to claim that there's a link between the failure and something you've installed. If that happens I think you're SOL unless you can prove there's no link. As hellhammer says, it all depends on the goodwill (or lack thereof) of the guy behind the counter. Given my experiences with Apple I wouldn't count on them to do the right thing but ymmv.

9. moral-hazard macrumors regular

There are no void if broken stickers - coming from someone who has torn a 13" uMBP to pieces. Get a set of good precision screwdrivers and you will be good to go. Keep the original parts; if you ever have a problem with the machine, replace the original parts and bring it back in to apple. Your warranty will still cover the major components so long as you don't accidentally damage them while working on it.