Warranty - who knows how it really works??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nipponfan, Feb 1, 2011.

1. nipponfan macrumors regular

I've been to a best buy and the sales rep there told me if i bought an iPhone here the warranty would only apply in the U.S. - but if I got Applecare it would be international. Is that true??

Assuming I would buy the iPhone here or in Canada, brought it back to Austria and bought Apple-Care there, would that work?

I'm totally confused, since there are so many different statements out there :confused::confused:

2. saving107, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple Care is International, Best Buy warranty is not.

The sales rep was right.

EDIT: I just did some googling, and it appears that iPods/Macs have international AppleCare service, but the iPhone must be services in the country it was purchased in.

3. nipponfan thread starter macrumors regular

So what happens when you're abroad and there's a defect on your iPhone? Have to send it back via mail? How would that work anyway?

4. wpotere Guest

Don't confuse manufacturer warranty with a store warranty, they are not the same thing. Apple has a 1 year warranty on the iPhone that can be extended with AppleCare. Both of these are international...

Best Buy is likely trying to sell you an additional in house warranty that I would advise against. This warranty is likely only good int he country that you purchase it. To be honest, they generally are worthless and cause more problems. Best just to stick with AppleCare.

5. nipponfan thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, that is what I'm talking about - the manufacturer warranty. I want that to be international, so when I buy the iphone here, bring it back home and have a defect there or whatever they won't say "you didn't buy it here, bring it back to the U.S. to have it fixed". So how will this work?

6. wpotere Guest

The problem you are going to have is that it will be locked to AT&T so it won't function over there with a different sim without doing an unlock. This is where it could get grey for you. Basically Apple will cover it, but once they see that it is an AT&T phone that has been unlocked they may just deny to cover you. Phones are tricky....

That being said, I lived in Germany and bought my MacBook here in the USA. It needed a repair and it was no problem for them to do it. You are, however, covered by the warranty of that country and laws for warranties do vary.

7. Applejuiced, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually I heard they made changes to the iphone Applecare and can be serviced internationally. Many people have swapped US iphones in Europe and other countries so I doubt you'll have any problems.

8. wpotere Guest

It wouldn't surprise me. I know a few folks that have done this but they are service members. I wasn't sure if they were getting some special treatment. ;)

9. nipponfan thread starter macrumors regular

This sounds interesting. Is there any statement by apple confirming that or am I dependent on their goodwill?

10. wpotere Guest

Just curious, but why don't you just call Apple and ask? They will know better than us about it.