Warranty with iPhone from EBay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacMontana, Jul 17, 2009.

1. MacMontana macrumors member

So I bought this 8GB 3G on eBay secondhand. I cannot decipher Apple's warranty disclaimer. Question is when I plug the iPhones serial # into Apple I get this.

"Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on August 20, 2009.

Your product is eligible for complimentary phone support which is estimated to expire on June 06, 2011."

Is the warranty null and void since I'm not the original owner of this phone? Can I buy and use Apple care on a second hand phone? Has Apple care already been purchased for this device?

Thanks in advance.!!

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

As long as the phone is still under it's ORIGINAL 1 year warranty (which it seems to be until Aug 20 '09) you can purchase Applecare. Apple goes by serial number based on initial activation for warranty.

3. MacMontana thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. It's the "Your product is eligible for complimentary phone support which is estimated to expire on June 06, 2011." which made me think it had Applecare already. So I can just purchase AppleCare and register it without and original receipt?

4. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Call Apple and ask!

If it already has AppleCare, why buy it (twice)? AppleCare stays with the device, not the owner. Looks like you're covered, just confirm it.

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

His warranty runs out in August 09 as he stated. Yes, just purchase Applecare for another year.

"Phone support" is not Applecare warranty. It's just ..... phone support. For questions and help. Not warranty replacement/repair.