Warranty with refurbished MBP?

macsr1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
I am thinking about buying a refurbished MBP for $999 from Apple which comes with a 1 year limited warranty and I'm wondering how that warranty differs from Applecare?

- Quality products/great prices
- Stringent refurbishment process prior to sale
- Covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty
- AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased
- Supplies are limited
Also, I've heard many good things about buying refurbished products but what is bad about buying a refurbished product? (Besides it not being brand new)

Thanks for any help. I currently use a PC but want to make the switch. :cool:

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Buying refurb doesn't differ from buying a new machine.

AppleCare is purchased and adds two more years (for a total of three) in terms of coverage as well as extending phone support from 90 days to all three years.

Plenty by refurb and in general there is no noticeable difference in terms of DOA computers between refurb and new. In some sense, the refurb computers get looked after better, since they get looked at by an actual person in the states.

macsr1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Buying refurb doesn't differ from buying a new machine.

AppleCare is purchased and adds two more years (for a total of three) in terms of coverage as well as extending phone support from 90 days to all three years.

Plenty by refurb and in general there is no noticeable difference in terms of DOA computers between refurb and new. In some sense, the refurb computers get looked after better, since they get looked at by an actual person in the states.
So could I wait for 90 days or even a year for that limited warranty to end and then buy Applecare? Or do you have to buy Applecare right then and there with the product? Sorry, I'm an apple noob :(

And that limited warranty is Applecare but just named differently or are there differences?

jaforres

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2009
So could I wait for 90 days or even a year for that limited warranty to end and then buy Applecare? Or do you have to buy Applecare right then and there with the product? Sorry, I'm an apple noob :(

And that limited warranty is Applecare but just named differently or are there differences?
It is my understanding that its just like buying new. You can wait the 1 year if you want.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA

No difference and you have a year to add it. Its just like buying new but you don't get a white box, it usually comes in a brown box.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'd personally go ahead and get the AppleCare. If not immediately then shortly after the 90 day phone support period expires. I'm not sure how it is with a new MacBook or refurbished for that matter, but with my iBook and iPhone if I remember correctly you are limited to one "incident" that requires phone tech support if you don't have the AppleCare. After that I believe it's around $19.95 an incident. Unless you have AppleCare, in which case you can call as often as you like. Now, if things have changed someone please step in and correct me, as my iBook has been out of warranty for years so it very well might has changed.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
I just bought my first Mac, an iMac from the refurb store so I double checked all of this will Apple on the phone before ordering. Like others have stated, you have up to one year to buy AC and extend the warranty. Unless I need phone support after the first 90 days, I will likely wait until early 2011 to buy AppleCare. Places like B H Photo offer Apple Care for a lot less than Apple.

Also, other than the box, it is impossible to tell this computer is not brand new. I am very glad I went the refurb route and will certainly do it again in the future.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Just to be clear, Applecare is not a "warranty" per se.

It doesnt cover accidental damage, screen breaks or water spills.

You will have to try something like a squaretrade warranty for those options.