Warranty

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BrumGB, Jul 1, 2011.

1. BrumGB macrumors newbie

BrumGB

Hey

I brought my macbook pro last week and I am wondering about warranty and receipt. I can't find a receipt in the box just the delivery pricing list. As I am a student I am aware that I get the 3 years in store care (without the phone support)

Weird question but what does the receipt look like ? or is it stored online. The second question, what do I need to present to the store employee to show that I have the student 3 year warranty ?

Thankyou

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Where did you buy it? Apple.com, they probably emailed you the reciept or at least you can print it off on apple.com

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you do not have a receipt you can generally use your serial number.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Firstly, you must have bought your MBP online or over the phone to get the free warranty, if you bought it in store you don't get it free.

Secondly, Apple will still pick up your Mac if you like. They have for people I know. The phone support only being one year means they won't give you help with software issues on the phone, but you can still call them to report a hardware fault.

Apple will check your serial number on their computers to check your warranty. You can check yourself here. Please note the uk student warranty takes some time to appear on that online check (9 weeks for me) it may show 1 year for now. Also, about 90 days after purchase you should get an email confirming the student warranty, it comes then because all Macs come with 90 days phone support, but the free student warranty gets one year.

5. BrumGB thread starter macrumors newbie

BrumGB

Thanks again iStudent!

Luckily I brought my macbook off the online store, I thought I lost my receipt or something so I was kinda worried incase something happened to my MBP.

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Ah it's you again! Glad to be of help. I'll bill you shortly. :D

7. rubyonone macrumors newbie

applecare differences

So what are the differences between the student warranty and buying the applecare warranty?

I've just got a MBP throught the student discount and I'm wondering if I should get the Applecare too?

Ta!

Chris

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I made a detailed thread all about uk edu discounts here.

In summary-

AppleCare is 3 years warranty 3 years phone (software) support. Student warranty has 3 year warranty but 1 year phone support.

There is some uncertainty about whether the student warranty is international or transferrable.

AppleCare will give better resale value, even if the student warranty is transferrable as people know what AppleCare is.

You must buy online/phone to get the free warranty, NOT in store.

Overall, if you are happy to use MacRumors to solve your software problems and you can't see yourself selling the Mac within 3 years I would recommend saving some money and sticking with the free warranty.

EDIT- the discount AppleCare price of ~£50 for students is only available at the time of purchase. If you try and buy now it will be around £160. If you really want AppleCare you could return your Mac and buy it again to get the £50 price.

9. rubyonone macrumors newbie

Thanks VERY MUCH for your help. :)

I've decided that I'll be keeping the MBP for ages so I'll save my money and not get the applecare.

I went through your other thread and it's well written and very informative, very well done.

Chris