Warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by peachkin, Apr 29, 2014.

1. peachkin macrumors newbie

Is there a warranty for an iPhone if they cannot determine when the phone was purchased? I bought an iPhone 4 from a friend who got it a few years ago. It didn't turn on. Basically an out of box defect. It was never opened, activated, nothing. Their system shows that it wasn't ever touched basically and they can't activate it because it won't turn on. They troubleshooted it over the phone, too. I was told to go to the Apple store but just want an idea if they will be able to help at all.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd try going to a store.
    Even though it was never activated with a carrier they still have records of when and where it was sold or if it was replaced when and how much warranty is left on it.
    Even if it doesn't turn on they can get the serial number from the device and let you know if its covered under warranty or if its not when it expired.

3. peachkin thread starter macrumors newbie

They told me it had no warranty. Then I was told it had limited warranty. Then I was told they can't find when it was initially purchased. So, I have no idea and neither do they apparently.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, sounds like the person you talked had no clue.
    I'd go to the Apple store and ask for more details.
    If it didn't have any warranty left when did it expire and so on.
    But if your friend said he got it a few years ago then good chances are the warranty expired by now.