warranty ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XrayTed, Nov 10, 2015.

1. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

Have an iphone 6 with a cracked screen.
    Was going for some sprint plan where I upgrade from a 16 gb ip6 to a 64 gb ip6s for $5 a month, sounded pretty good as I'm running out of memory.
    Only problem is I have a cracked screen and the charge goes up to $25 a month instead, so obviously I would do better to have it repaired.

I have heard of people getting cracked screens replaced under warranty, is it possible and how would I go about doing it ?
    Other options would be do it myself, or paying some cell phone shop $90 to do it for me.

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

It's not covered under warranty, so you'll need to come up with a good story if you want some sympathy from a Genius. It would be at their discretion.

Otherwise, I'd just pay someone to do it. You can see the tear apart videos easily enough to see what you're getting into. By the time you buy the parts and spend an afternoon farting around with it... Plus you can cause even more grief for yourself if you mess it up.

C

3. XrayTed thread starter macrumors regular

XrayTed

Yeah, about what I was thinking.
    I end up taking apart just about everything I own but you are right, considering what a replacement would cost, wouldn't even save a whole lot doing it myself.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I shattered my screen about a month and a half ago. Out of Warranty repair was $130. TEP under Sprint was $200. No brainer, which is why I took it to Apple.

If you have AC+ it will cost less of course. If you have no insurance at all, consider that a third party repair could result in Apple denying you ANY service at all if you bring your phone in at a later time (and they discover there was a non-OEM repair).

5. XrayTed thread starter macrumors regular

XrayTed

I thought about the voided warranty thing, since I want it repaired to make it a viable trade in, most likely won't be an issue, the sprint guy said as much.

6. alFR macrumors 68020

Apparently there's a bit of latitude at the Genius Bar for replacements: the best strategy seems to be to go in, be honest about what happened and ask what they can do for you. No guarantees but lots of people report getting a free swap/repair under those circumstances.

7. skyperbon macrumors regular

Take a look at the following link. It outlines what all types of damages are covered under Apple warranty and what are eligible to be fixed out of warranty. Even though it mentions iPhone 5, it should also be good for the 6.

http://www.tested.com/tech/ios/454866-apples-iphone-5-warranty-guidelines-uncovered/

8. XrayTed, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

XrayTed thread starter macrumors regular

XrayTed

Closest apple store to me is a 40 mile round trip ... Criagslist repair guys are all over the place,I dunno.
    The DIY option is now back on the table I think.

Mine would probably be considered a "multiple fracture" under the guidelines posted there, 1 long hairline crack and another smaller one spidering out from it. I really wouldn't care that much about it, but I want to go with a 64 gb anyhow as I am running out of space on this one, and this new sprint offer seems just like the ticket.

It was for sure my fault, I was kicking a soccer ball at my dog and it flew off my pocket and landed on concrete.