warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Namikaze, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Namikaze macrumors member

so I bought a used 8g edge iPhone, it was not unlocked but when I got it I unlocked it first with iliberty then I used winpwn to get the jailbroken 2.0, I've only had for about 3daya and it gets really really really hot, I can't even put the phone up to my ears. So my question is, if I restore iPhone back to regular 2.0 will apple notice and void my warranty or will they send me refurbished.
    Note* warranty lasts till this October
    Another question, would I need the original receipt cause the seller kind of didn't give me one.

2. Namikaze thread starter macrumors member

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

dude, it hasn't even been an hour since your last post. patience.

now, restoring the iphone is okay and won't leave any traces. you shouldn't need a receipt (only the serial # from the phone, to determine when it was purchased to calculate the warranty coverage).

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

you can simply say u just bought it off eBay and havent had time to activate it... if you are very lucky you might get a 3g one..

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

I highly doubt that, especially given how recent and available 2g iPhones are.

And apple does post a warning about these modifications and how they refuse to support them at the genius bars..it takes a couple minutes to restore to the original firmware. just do it.

6. Namikaze thread starter macrumors member

so restoring will erase all traces of me unlocking the phone? And no reciept needed?

7. cohenspire macrumors member

Yes it will restore and erase all traces. Apple will look up the serial # and see when it was purchased, the issue with that though is the previous owner probably registered it and Apple might not help cover costs of anything under warranty.

8. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Apple's warranties are transferable between users/owners.

9. Namikaze thread starter macrumors member

Couldn't I then tell them that it was a hand me down?

10. higgalls macrumors regular

Yeah but the problem would be that you would have to let Apple know some how that you are transfering the phone and the warranty to someone else. Otherwise it might be a stolen phone.

So I doubt they will do anything if they look up the details of the phone and they are registered under a completely different name than the person who has put it in for warranty.

11. Namikaze thread starter macrumors member

is there anyway i can check to see if the warranty really does last till October