Warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macwow55, Apr 21, 2010.

1. macwow55 macrumors newbie

Hi just to preface my question, I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES (legalized extortion/"protection money") - and thus i am skeptical of warranties.

Anyways, now to my question.

Apple's warranty is 1 year. But is the hard drive inside not under it's own manufacture's warranty? I mean, most hitachi or seagate drives have a 3 year warranty. If the hard drive fails after apples warranty has expired (say 2 years) - could you not remove the hard drive yourself and get it replaced through manufacturer?

another question. Anyone used AMEX's extended warranty successfully? Supposedly it adds a year to the warranty when you purchase item on card. So if I buy my computer i would have 2 years warranty (extra year through AMEX). That being said, i'm sure they would find some "reason" to NOT honor this policy. Anyone actually been in this boat and had luck?

Excuse my negativity, but i am very skeptical of companies making promises they don't keep.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you buy a computer from e.g. Apple, Dell, Alienware, they must give the warranty so the original manufacturer's warranty is no longer valid meaning that hard drive only has that 1-year warranty from Apple. If you buy a new one from store (only the HD), and replace the old one, you get the warranty from manufacturer which is much longer, but ONLY if you buy the HD separately. That's why many people build computer themselves as you get longer warranty

I've heard people getting a new one from CC company and they usually give you the money you paid for it or option for repair/replacement but you should check the terms from AMEX

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) Warranties, including ext. Warranties are not insurance. Warranties cover defects only. Insurance covers accidental loss or damage.

2) No one is forcing you to by either so how is it extortion?

3) AMEX is great. Used it a couple times.

4) OEM HDs are not warranted by the manufacturer to the consumer only the company that bought them originally. The HD warranty is what Apple says it is.

4. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

OEM HDs do come with a warranty by their original manufacturer. I bought a 500gb one from newegg that was an OEM. Recently i failed, i just had to contact seagate for a replacement. PS. they have terrible customer service, but i got a replacement.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

By OEM, he means that if you buy a computer that has a HD, that HD is no longer under manufacturer's warranty, it's under the computer's warranty (Dell, Apple..).

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, what you bought from Newegg is an unboxed HD. They call it "OEM," but it's not really, it's just not packaged for retail. These do come with a warranty from the manufacturer.

True OEM hard drives in commercially manufactured computers have no warranty that the consumer can take advantage of -- they have to go through the company that built the computer.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, that's the case. OEM parts aren't usually available from resellers, only straight from manufacturer and only for companies that build computers.

I've faced this with Windows 7 OEM as you get no support for it from MS without paying for it (never used it, just read on the DVD)

8. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

Anyone else have experience using the 1 year extended warranty through AMEX?

9. seventy9ers macrumors newbie

Amex Extended Warranty

I am a huge advocate for American Express. I used the extended warranty through Amex for 2 times for my last white macbook. One of them due to the known issue with the hard drive. here's the article:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/16...gram-for-hard-drives-on-early-macbook-models/

Back then when mine was crashed 13 months after the purchase (I did not buy AppleCare), I got a quote through Apple Store ($250)to repair the hard drive, Filed the claim through American Express, and just bought the hard drive ($90)and installed it myself. In the end, I made $160.

When that article came out, I am glad that Apple owned up to the manufacturer's defect of these hard drives. As I recalled when I got the repair quote from them, another customer with the same macbook had the same issue with the failed hard drive.

So I called up Apple after reading the announcement, submitted the repair quote back to them, and they just sent me a check for $250 for the failed hard drive. I guess it's a bit of consolation for my lost pictures and files that couldn't be recovered from the failed hard drive...

Moral of the story, I will never buy any electronics product without using my American Express card. I will be loyal to Apple for their good gesture in admitting the manufacturer's defect of these hard drives.