Warrenty Question: Mac Book

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KanyeToDuh, Nov 22, 2008.

1. KanyeToDuh macrumors newbie

Hello, im in a situation with my Mac Book and I would like some advice in what to do. I purchased my mac book for about at least a year or so and have purchased the apple care plan. So over a 3 months ago i got a little crack on my screen which formed a little ink bleb on my screen. The damage was very minimal but i decided to go take it to the genius bar to get it fixed. They told me that the apple care doesn't cover physical damage on the screen and they quoted me 800 dollars to fix it. I asked the person who was helping me if i should keep my apple care still and he said yea because if you have any other problems with the laptop beside the screen, apple would be able to fix it. Well I thought of it as not a huge deal since the screen damage was very minimal and didn't want to put out a few hundred dollars for such a minimal damage. Well recently my harddrive crashed and i went to the genius bar to go get it fixed and they said that it was not possible since they noticed the physical damage on the screen and that my warranty is voided. This got me frustrated and now i'm not sure what to do. I found a place that would fixed the screen for 200 dollars and i called apple to see if they are certified and they confirmed that it is ok to fix my screen there. I was just curious though if anybody knows that if i bring in my lap top once my screen is fixed if they would be able to fix my harddrive as well. Thank you

PS: By the way i know my harddrive crashed because it was burnt out not because of physical damage because when i was video editing with it the first time it crashed.

2. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

This is ridiculous!! You hard drive crash has nothing to do with your screen damage. Obviously the Apple store that you went to is *#$^!@% you around. I would call Apple care directly, and get this resolved.

While you are there, bring up your screen problem too. If you are lucky, they may do something about it too (no guarantee on this though, but no harm in trying).

3. KanyeToDuh thread starter macrumors newbie

well they said that because of physical damage the warrenty is voided.. But i'm just hoping that if i get my screen fixed they will fixed my laptop finally.

4. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

If the physical damage is a big dent from a drop, then I can understand. Otherwise, they have no excuse. But of course, none of what I said matter. You can only call Apple care and find out yourself. I wouldn't go back to that store.

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Call Apple and tell them what happened. Even if you have to send the laptop in for them to fix it, then do it. Don't give up until they do it for you, you have to stand up for yourself man.

Good luck.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Get on the phone with an applecare rep at 800MYAPPLE. Politely tell them what you discussed on the board.

The geniuses at the applestore are hit or miss, but the phone reps are top notch.

7. futureswitcher macrumors member

futureswitcher

a similar thing happened to my friend with his iphone 3g. He dropped it and caused a HUGE spider crack all over the screen, but the iPhone was otherwise in fine condition. A few months later, he did a software upgrade and it caused a software problem where he couldn't slide to answer calls - Completely unrelated! He took it into the apple store (not a very technically-inclined guy) and they refused to even look at it because of the spider crack! They wouldn't even tell him that all he had to do was restore his iPhone (fortunately, I did it for him later and fixed the problem).

Seems like kind of a d**k-ish move on apple's part, imo.

EDIT:
    oops! didn't mean to bring back an old thread! I forget how I found this in the first place!

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

We can't spell out "dick" here? Wow, tough board.