Was all set to get an iPad for xmas ...

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GMCpilot, Nov 30, 2010.

1. GMCpilot macrumors newbie

My wife was already to purchase me an iPad for Christmas and then I heard a rumor that the iPad 2 could be released as soon as January 2011. Has anyone else heard this? Sorry if this is a repeat, I am a newby to MacRumors but have been an Apple owner for several years starting with an iPod nano progressing to a 17" Mac Book Pro and the iPod Touch. Now I just need the best option iPad!:apple:

2. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Well, the rumor is Q1 (possibly early Q2) next year. While nobody knows for sure, I doubt they would release it in January, as they would likely stick to a 1-year cycle that is similar to their iPod and iPhone line. This would lead to an April release.

I'm waiting for version 2 just because I don't need an iPad right now, so I might as well wait. But, if you want it now, go ahead and buy. You still get 4 solid months of use before the new one comes out. Plus, if you're happy with the features for the price you pay, why would your contentedness decrease with the release of a new model?

3. fuzzypirate, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

fuzzypirate macrumors newbie

iPad 2....ehh

My wife got me an iPad for Christmas and I am super excited. I'm not worried about the would-be possibility of the iPad 2, and here's why:

1. I like the iPad as it exists today. Is it perfect? Nope, far from it. But I still like it the way it is.

2. iPad 2 doesn't exist. And who knows if it will be Q1, Q2 or later? Need I remind you of the white iPhone 4?

3. If you don't buy it now because there is the possibility of something new coming, you will NEVER buy anything in technology.

4. iPad 2 will probably have a camera. I don't really care about that. I would never use it. I don't use facetime or any other video conferencing and I don't need to take pictures with my iPad.

5. iPad 2 might be smaller, like 7" form factor (maybe?). I want it the size it is. It's perfect. I don't want to risk having to get a smaller one.

6. iPad 2 might have a better display. Ok, that would be nice, but oh well. That's life. The display it has is by no stretch of the imagination too shabby.

7. Lots of new updates can be released as software updates.

8. Did I mention that the iPad 2 doesn't exist yet?

Anyways, I am counting down the days (23) until I get mine. Wooho!

Cheers!

4. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

By all means _ wait_ ! You'll be so glad you did.

As a longtime Apple customer, nothing beats waiting for their second generation device. I just sold both my iPads (I'm an early adopter who never learns :)) based on the fact that I wanted to get a decent price before word spreads that iPad 2 is imminent.

The wait will be more than worth it.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

A little while back, it was Apple's MO to offer new products in Jan/Feb of the year, i wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple did this.

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It sounds like you didn't hear Steve Jobs maniacal rant against the 7" form factor. He went on and on bashing other manufacturers for even considering this. So no matter how popular they may become Apple will never build that size.

Steves so funny, the poor mans so delusional he thinks that his is the only opinion that matters.

All Hail the Supreme Leader... Ha...Ha ...Ha

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Why do I get an impression that you are telling us all this on the forum because you are worried that you might regret getting iPad now and not waiting few more months for iPad 2?

Enjoy your iPad.

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Maniacal? I guess you hear what you want to hear.

9. yankintx macrumors 6502

I would think that Apple will definitely make sure the new Ipad is released after the return period for Christmas gifts. The last thing they want is to sell a boatload of them for Christmas, and then get half of that boat back.

April sounds good to me but I have no idea!

10. yankintx macrumors 6502

I depend on my Ipad now. Could I do without it...probably, but I use it at least 8 hours a day ( stocktrader trading from wherever I want) now and can't see going without it for a few months.

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It all depends on how willing you are to lose a little money...You can always sell the iPad 1G for the 2nd Gen one, but you aren't gonna get full price. Say you have a 16GB WIFI model. You originally pay $499 for it; I would bet that you only get $350 for selling it. Then I'm sure the 2G iPad will be around the same price, so you lost $150 but you used the iPad 1G for 4 months....so did you get $150 worth of use out of it? That's all up to you....

12. Simonkey75 macrumors newbie

Simonkey75

^This - barring the 7" bit :)

The Feb iPad 2 is beginning to sound more like competitor FUD to me. It would be a very odd and unnecessary move IMO.

The age-old Apple decision - if you want or need something now, get it. You could spend your whole life holding off for the next upgrade.

13. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

There is no way in HELL the iPad 2 will have a 7" screen. Steve himself rags on all the 7" tablets, saying that only a 10" screen can fully due iOS it's well deserved justice.

14. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Steve Jobs knows what's best for his company. Do you honestly think that he hasn't done all the research? I guarantee he's had a prototype 7" iPad made, and I guarantee he's had it tested and retested. He, and probably several technicians have obviously decided that a 7" form factor is a bad idea. What experience do YOU have with it? NONE. So you have NO right to insult someone who has been churning out amazing products for years. Obviously, by his track record, he knows what he's doing. Have you made billions of dollars designing computers for most of your life? No. You're one of the many people who think they know better than the experts, with no proof and no experience. Shut up.

Moving back on topic, no, don't bother to wait. I see no major improvements in the next generation of iPad. Unless you have some insane need to videochat, or can't live your life without being able to take pictures from your iPad instead if your phone, there's no real need for a camera. What other major improvements will there be? Perhaps a slight boost in speed, or a higher option for capacity. It's not getting a retina display, anyone telling you otherwise is lying. There's no point in waiting. Don't get so caught up in the idea that you must have the latest model, because there's really not going to be very much of a difference.

15. HBOC macrumors 68020

They may announce a newer version, but i doubt we will see one before April.

16. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Never say never, I still remember when he said that iMacs with vertical Drives are idiotic and will never work when he released the second gen iMac with that odd rounded base with everything inside.... And now we had three generations of Vertical-drived iMacs

I like 10" the portrait keyboard is awesome, but 7" would be way more friendly when I'm using it walking down the street, that said, I would still choose the 10" one