Was Apple just lazy in not adding a 2nd port? Video in description

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SSD-GUY, Apr 9, 2015.

1. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Some people have been stating that Apple couldn't add another port due to size limitations/space etc.

Take a look at this video from Apple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwW9J83xlHg&spfreload=10

Look around the 3:14 mark - See how there is ample head room for another port there even with the 3.5mm jack? Worst case, the 3.5 mm jack could be moved a few mm to the right in order to accommodate a 2nd port.

Guess I'll be waiting for Gen 2 then.

2. ruhollah glare macrumors newbie

Are you correct that its audio port placement, and not lack of the needed interior space that precludes the addition of a second port?

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Apple could easily have launched the MacBook with two USB C ports, equally that`s not Apple`s mandate for the new MacBook, Apple want`s you to buy deeper into the cloud, specifically "iTunes & iCloud"

For me two USB C ports is far more practical; one for power, one for a peripheral. Apple`s rational of the MacBook being too "thin" is nonsense and redundant given other manufacturers offer thiner Notebook`s with multiple standard ports currently commonly in use. Apple`s path is one of form over function, and the continuous drive to deepen the user`s dependance on the Apple ecosystem.

Non of the above is particularly negative towards Apple, equally it`s how I see it. If the current Macbook meets my performance needs I will be buying one very soon. If not I will wait on Skylake also the upcoming Surface Pro 4 & Windows 10.

Dependant on sales and general public reception the Skylake Macbook may well have two USB C ports, Thunderbolt over USB is pretty much given.

Q-6

4. newellj macrumors 601

Yes, and don't forget to put an AirPort Time Capsule on your shopping list... :rolleyes:

5. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

very simple.

they need something to add to Apple Macbook 2

Much like the original MBA, somehow Apple was able to find "room" to squeeze in 2 USB port in their next generation.