was buying a refub 2.4 MBP worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by l2pdrums, Jan 14, 2009.

1. l2pdrums macrumors newbie

Well I just purchased a refurbished 15" 2.4 MBP from the apple store. It looked like a steal so I bought it. The spec said...

2.4 processor, 2BG memory, 160 HD, GeForce 8600M GT with 256 MB of GDDR3 SDRAM. Now for $1,299, I went and bought it. Paid like $1,400 after taxes and shipping.

I did some reasearch and called apple to see what processor I had, but nobody could tell me what type. So I went to Everymac.com and found that it is a "Merom" and not a "Penryn". The only way I know is because mine will come with a 160 GB HD and not the standard 200 GB HD. Also because the order status has product number "FB075LL/A."

So now I'm torn. I can't cancel the order but I can return it once I get it for a refund. I can save up $600 more and get a new unibody and have the most current MBP with student discount or wait for a refub one at apple.com.

I do mostly intermediate video editing and want to start using Motion along with alot of FX plugins for Final cut pro. I know that the one I orders will be fine, but...I'm basically getting a late 2007 model, which is already old.

so I as for advise, what would you do? return and continue saving or keep.

2. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

Return

You can get a Brand New 15" Penryn 2.5ghz 512Vram 250GB HD from macmall for $1500. Amazon $1649. I would definitely return it. Buying refurb is hit or miss. Some have zero problems. My brother had nothing but problems with his Refurb. The apple store had to replace everything in his laptop. I mean everything. See what happens when you don't do your homework before you buy? I just got my 15" Penryn 2.5ghz from www.BHPhoto.com last week for $1599 free shipping/no tax. I am sure you can handle $200 more for a BRAND NEW laptop. You won't have the dreaded buyers remorse and it will by your Brand New baby! Made just for you. Touched by only you and Apple! Good God man get out there and do the right thing!

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

4. l2pdrums thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw it today too. But I won't get my money back until apple recieves it back and processess the refund. Yeah, I should have done my research earlier, but the day before I missed a good deal, and didn't want to miss it again.

Live and learn, but I will just wait to get a brand spanking new one.

5. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Is there actually any discernible difference between the Penryn and the Merom? I'm not talking about slightly higher bench marks, I'm talking about whether you could tell them apart if they were sitting next to each other.

Sorry OP, maybe I've missed something but a 2.4 MBP is a 2.4 MBP, who cares what the processor is called.

6. l2pdrums thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not just what its called, correct me if I'm wrong but,they are two different processor architechtures.

Quote from Slashgear.com...

"It’s Penryn that makes the biggest difference, though. Not so much in speed - although there was an 11-percent performance increase over the 2.2GHz Santa Rosa(Merom) - but in how cool the notebook runs and how efficiently it manages power. On the lap, the new Pro felt more comfortable than the old, despite the Penryn CPU itself getting hotter than the Santa Rosa under load.

All that adds up to saved battery power, and this is where the Penryn-powered MacBook Pro really impresses. With light web browsing via WiFi, we managed 5.2hrs of use before the battery died - even the MacBook Air didn’t last that long, and it’s actually more than the 5hrs Apple quote in their own figures. Apple have toughened up their battery tests, but are claiming that generally you get an extra half-hour from the new CPU and the same again from the new backlight."

Now I thought I was getting an Early 2008 model, but since Apple doesn't publish the processor type, I couldn't tell which one it was.

7. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

To find out all the details on the system, first add it to your cart in the apple store, then look at your cart -the exact apple part number is listed there. Then research this on the web. I use the MacTracker program to determine ALL the specs of the offerings in the Apple Refurb store as well as MacMall, etc.

8. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Early 2008 model would be a Penryn. The good thing about this version is that it supports all the multi-finger gestures that the new unibodies have.

You just have to do a bit of a hack with the .kext files. (search the MR forums for exact details).

9. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Gotcha ;)

Never can be sure with so many buzzwords/marketing hype around at the moment.

10. crain300 macrumors member

i have a macbook pro 17 inch that i bought in dec 07
    how can i tell if mine has the bad graphics or problems associated to the 2.4

11. l2pdrums thread starter macrumors newbie

returned it

Well, I just came back from the fed ex store and sent back the refub MBP and headed directly to the Apple store and bought the 2.4 unibody MBP. I feel better knowing that it is NEW and all components are new and up to date.

Now it is time to go home and disconnect my mac mini and put it up for sale.

12. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Not to draw second opinions on your purchase, but there's nothing wrong or bad about a refurbished machine.

13. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Yeah get it refurbished, every single review I've seen on youtube and on the web shows that they are in brand new condition, no scratches or anything...

14. minijon macrumors member

I bought mine refurb'ed as in the spec's in my sig below in October, immediately after the new line came out and I hated the glossy displays. It was a steal. It's great, and mine even came with a 250GB HDD, when it was only listed as a 200GB. Score!

The only thing I've noticed that makes it seem not-new (besides the boring, brown box) was that when I swapped out the RAM up to 4GB (only the other day, I need to update my sig) the memory modules were not Apple memory modules, nor were they even matched brand. One was a Samsung stick, and the other was a hynix (Korean).

Who knows. Who cares, it's got 4GB of Kingston RAM now.