Was curious if anybody with an iMac has used this..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Senor360, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

Netgear POWERLINE AV Ethernet Adapter Kit
    The reason I ask is because wireless access from my office to downstairs where I have my PS3 and 360 is terrible. My wife also has dicey connectivity on her laptop. A coworker purchased one and said it was great. No problems at all and is able to stream media down to his 360 without a problem. I see in their advertisement that you need a Windoze machine with either XP or Vista. Mainly to change/setup security settings on the device. Would a bootcamp session suffice you think? If you have used this, or something similiar, please post your thoughts on it.

Thanks.

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i don't have this but i use a airport express as a wifi extender in my home. easy to set up and works like a charm. it's essentially plugged in the second floor in some outlet. no cables or so. it picks up the signal from the third floor and extends it down to the first floor and backyard.

3. mpshay macrumors 6502

I'm using a powerline ethernet system from linksys. Not going to be faster than the gigabit stuff I've got elsewhere in the house, but it's better than wireless. I just plugged them in and started using them.

4. macffooky macrumors regular

I use 85 Mbit/s Homeplugs made by Solwise and would highly recommend the technology. Playing DVDs or using EyeTV is much better than over the wireless network and you only need Windows if you want to change security settings. As long as you're only using the plugs on a power circuit for which you're solely liable there's no need for any security anyway.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yeah I would probably use an AirPort Express as an extender, but I also have an AEBS so it'd only make sense to use the Express.

6. Senor360 thread starter macrumors regular

Senor360

Been awhile - part II

Been awhile since I've posted, but thought I would follow up on this product I mentioned. It's worked like a charm! I have it connected to my router provided by Verizon. The other unit is downstairs and from it a cable runs into a 5-port switch. Now my TV, xbox 360, ps3 and wife's laptop are able to get internet with a steady connection. ONline play on 360/ps3 is awesome. Not bad for .. well, now I can't remember how much I spent.. but good investment. Highly recommend for those that haven't found a better, cheaper, easier solution.