Was expecting louder stereo speakers. Left is very low.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphnhelp, Oct 5, 2016.

1. iphnhelp macrumors regular

I was pretty happy with the 6S speaker. But with stereo in the iPhone 7 I was expecting a little louder sound. Playing back podcasts I'm kinda disappointed. It seems to be no louder, maybe even quieter, than the 6S. The left speaker is definitely lower, assuming because they are using the phone earpiece. And the balance of sound seems off because both speakers are not at even levels. What's going on? Have you experienced the same?

2. Ds6778 macrumors 6502

Ds6778

I have a hard time believing it's quieter. I keep having to turn down my 7 plus.... Maybe it's a bad phone.

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Haven't experience this. Both of mine are pretty well balanced.

4. iphnhelp thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried playing music, and music is pretty loud. It sounds good. Seems like podcasts and spoken word stuff is lower than Maybe it should be.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If you look at the picture below the left speaker (ear piece speaker) needs to be at a lower volume to achieve stereo sound because it's aimed right at you while the right speaker (bottom) is pointing away from you. If both speakers were at equal volume the sound would seem to eminate more from the left side than right.
    [​IMG]

6. iphnhelp thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that makes sense, I get that for balancing.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I think in portrait mode it behaves different.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Mine aren't even close. My bottom speaker completely drowns out my top speaker.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Are they evenly balanced under Settings>General>Accessibility?

10. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

I think you've got an bad phone. Mine is way way louder. They also seem pretty balanced

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

They were. I have to slide to adjust when listening to phone. Then I slide back when listening to anything else.

When I first got the phone, I wondered if the top even worked. I have to cover the bottom to even hear the top.

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

That definitely sounds like a defect. I have great stereo balance on my Plus. You might want to get that checked out by Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2016 ---
    There is no left bottom speaker. The second speaker is integrated into the earpiece.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

The left bottom "speaker" houses a microphone.

14. Jlk311 macrumors newbie

Jlk311

They are not balanced. The left speaker is about 4 decibels quieter than the right. This is even more exastrabated if you cup the right speaker with your hand as cupping the left speaker doesn't not increase the decibel level on the left as the right. And also if you have a case that redirects the bottom speaker forward it makes it much louder than the left speaker
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2017 ---
    I guarantee that your plus is the same as his. You probably just don't notice it as much. Use a decibel meter and see.