Was going to order the new 13" rMBP, but.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Mar 20, 2015.

1. marc55, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Was going to order the new 13" rMBP, but I have a few concerns.

a. It's only a duo-core compared to a quad-core on the 15" rMBP

b. Not sure how good the Intel 6100 graphics is compared to the 15" rMBP

c. Screen size,.....is it too small for older eyes?

Insight greatly appreciated; thank you

EDIT: Usage; mostly web surfing, uncomplicated Excel, Word, Powerpoint and video's/movies

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your first two points depend entirely on your proposed usage. Most users never push the limits of even the lowest-performing Mac model. What do you plan to use it for?

As for the screen size, only you can determine what works best for you, but I'm posting this from my 13" rMBP and I can see it just fine with my old eyes.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I agree with GGJstudios that depending on how you plan to use your Mac the dual core processor and 6100 graphics could be enough. It could potentially only come down to screen size.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

None of the listed usage requires a quad core, or even a dual core to be performed. An iPad has enough computing power to cope with it.

You listed usage puts next to zero stress on a graphics card as well, so again you don't need the power.

The beauty of a retina screen is that you can use pretty much any resolution on it and it'll still look good. It's fine for older eyes. Small screen doesn't have to mean small text.

If worst comes to worst, there's a 14 day return window.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any Mac model, including the Mac mini, made in recent years can easily handle your workload.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I love developing on a bigger display tbqh... I was gonna get the new rMB but the sheer enjoyment of the 15" display has me thinking twice about a 12" display. I currently have a 13" rMBP.

7. LudwigZildjian macrumors member

The 13" is plenty, but if you want a 15" and can afford it, get it.... You don't need it power wise, but up to you. You can always buy an external display #1 and #2 you can output the display signal to an Apple TV, which I personally connect to my 70" flat screen tv, for movies anyway....

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Seems to me like you want the base 15" because of your "old eyes"

I have "young eyes" and I use a 24" external monitor for real work.

The 13" isn't big enough for me to do my work but that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Go to an Apple Store or Best buy and check it out for a good 20 minutes each.

9. Android300zx macrumors regular

I vote for the 13''. You'll be fine with the laptop and it'll be more portable than a 15'' as well as weigh less (obviously). I'm 29 years old and have always preferred the 13'' size. I have owned bigger laptops (Windows) and find them cumbersome. Aforementioned, visit your local Apple store and play around with them.

You can increase the text size on a 13'' as well if your eyes are at the point of no return.

10. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Macbook Air would be perfect for you and save you money but if money is no object, then go for the 15 MBP. :D

11. winkosmosis macrumors member

I was going to order a 13" rMBP too, but I've used one and the 13" screen is really too small. I couldn't convince myself otherwise. So instead I bought a used 15" mid 2012 rMBP for the same price

12. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

I got a mid 2014 rMBP 15 for $134 more than the new 13 off Craigslist and its only 6 weeks old and hardly touched. Deals are out there.