Was going to return iPad because of factory problem but it fell and got dented

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gabriellanata, Jul 16, 2011.

1. gabriellanata macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was going to go to an apple store to see what they could do about the yellowish tint at the corners of my iPad's screen, I've already had it for 2 months and it's still there. I heard that many people got it replaced for that problem so I was going to take it to them next week.

The problem is that today it fell and got a little dent on one side (oposite to the biggest yellowish tint), the screen did not crack or anything. Do you think apple will still replace it? It is obvious that the dent did not cause the problem.

Thank you!
    Gabriel

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

With user-caused damage, I sincerely doubt they will, and I don't believe they should either.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

Just tell them the truth. Plenty of people here have experienced very forgiving Mac Geniuses.

Good luck.

4. ffonsok macrumors member

The will do a one-time replacement of the ipad. Do not worry too much. Just go there and tell them the truth, that it fell out of your hand, etc.

They replaced my ipad 2 and the glass was cracked a tiny bit in the corner.

5. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Arent thosd yellow tints just glue residue which dissapears over time?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well seeing yellow screens are not caused by dents, it's still advisable to try, assuming they even consider this a defect.

The store Genius technically has to be able to prove that your physical damage could have caused the yellow screen if they were to deny your coverage, but in reality it requires some persuasion on your part.

In this case, it's best advised to be straight-forward about the matter.

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

no

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple won't return any user damaged products - bummer on having it dented man :(

9. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

You could sell it on eBay for $350 then use that $ for a new one

10. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

You all couldn't be more WRONG! I had a new rMBP 15". Took it to work. My friend tossed me a key to the supply room. It gashed the hell outta my new rMBP. I was still within my return period. I returned it, no questions asked.

OP: just return it. Don't say anything about the dent. If they notice play dumb. Don't listen to these people about doing the right thing. A corporation this size isn't going to be affected by one bad iPad. It's their fault anyway, they can't even get the screens right on the damn things.

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Wait, people doing the right thing are "WRONG"? Haha. :rolleyes:

If you had read his full post you would have seen that he is most likely out of his return period as well.

12. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I must have missed the part where he is out of his return period. Then he should try to swap it out anyway, due to the yellow spots. And no, people doing the "right thing" is not wrong. In the case with these iPads, that doesn't even come into play. The majority of these new iPads are shipping with all different kinds of screen defects (bleeding, yellow spots, yellow screens, uneven screens...ect). This is ridiculous and therefore the OP should not feel an ounce of guilt by getting his product exchanged, whether or not he dented it is irrelevant. If he can get a new one, more power to him, if not, better luck next time. That's how I look at it.

13. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

You guys realize this thread was made back in 2011 right????? :p

14. pixelements macrumors regular

pixelements

:d

15. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

He should still return it, even three years later, and talk to a manager if he doesn't get what he wants... :p;)

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

And the OP posted 7 times, and the last one was in 2011. Love these individuals that post a reply years later not bothering to look at the date. Wonder why it was necessary to look it up to reply in the first place after so long...

17. blarivee macrumors 6502

Why do people do that? I was also tricked into responding to old threads :p

18. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

LOL , Nobody is tricking me into responding to this old thread....not going to happen...wouldn't be prudent....

19. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

This is nothing. I was just reading one today that somebody resurrected from 2008! Doh!

20. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

Tell them you thought the device was a futuristic Etch a Sketch and you were shaking it to get rid of the yellow patches

Obviously this didnt work and it fell out of your hend....if only the yellow patch had disappeared :D

21. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

It is sad it is 2014 and Apple is still having issues with yellow tint (the thread starter's problem).

22. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It is the magic of using SEARCH!