Was gunho on Laptop, then IMAC - until new update rumor...please help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MoleSkine, Jun 30, 2009.

1. MoleSkine macrumors member

Hello guys - I have been on this site everday for several months now. Thanks to this site and all your posts I was gunho on getting a Macbook but of course I was going to wait till WWDC June 8th to see what new updates Apple would bring.

Updates came and I was set on the new MBP 15". However, when I went to the store to check things out, I didnt like the keyboard so much (Im a distraught PC'er so i am used to using the bubble keyboard). Besides that, I thought what the heck do I need a laptop for? I do not travel, I am not a student, I will not be laying in bed with and typign on my laptop. I will be at my desk, doing writing projects, surfing internet, emailing, watching dvd's and photo storing...so I thought yes, indeed an iMac 24" will do.

So, there I was 2 weeks ago, excited to be purchasing a shiny new IMAC in July. Yesterday I come onto the site and see the rumor that Apple will be updating IMAC (yet again) and with a price drop. Price is not what I am too worried about Im already getting a mac right? :)

I do not want to wait until Fall for a new comptuer, my PC is being held together by duck tape and smacks from my hand. I waited and waited for June to arrive only to reconider my purchase to an IMAC...but now that will prob be updated yet again and I dont want Fall to come and be supeir pist about my JUly purchase.

Guys - help me out please! :eek: I trust all your opinions!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Does the current iMac do what you want it to? Then buy it.

3. MoleSkine thread starter macrumors member

True I was thnking that - but I remmeber peoples reaction who jsut bought a UMB 15" and then the updates came switching to MBP and they were angry and unhappy with their purchase....I dont wanna end up regretting my IMAC purchase jsut because I didnt wait 3 months :( Even tho Ill be doing basic everyday computing on it...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Honestly those that regret their purchases are morons.

If the current line suits your needs then I say why wait 3 months?

5. MoleSkine thread starter macrumors member

I am reading about many unsatisfied Imac'ers and more satisifed MBP'ers.

Although on sites like best buy and cnet - the average user thoroughly enjoys the IMAC (and they are like me - comptuer spec naive :( ).

I know of only 1 person who ventured and bought a mac and it happend to be an IMAC and he is very happy with it.

I am visiting the apple store again this week and will spend alot of time making a decision for my upcoming purchase.

6. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Only you know how you truly feel about it and exactly what you're going to do with it. As with any electronic device you simply must by and run away happy - never looking back. If you wait, you'll wait forever.
    At least that's how I handle it. Apple isn't immune to obsolescence even though otherwise dominant... :)

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I am very happy with my iMac and MBP. Like others have said, if it suits your needs now, get it. There is always going to be updates coming down the line.

8. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

My #1 issue with the iMac is the fact you can not service the hard drive yourself. The kills the deal, well so does the pricing and video/CPU options.

9. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

ok, if you can wait, wait a few months until they upgrade again, and if there isn't any difference to you in the new models, get a referb or the ones in the stores that they cant get rid of.

10. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

11. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

im actually changing out a HDD at school this week....:p

12. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

On the current aluminum iMac?

13. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

on an original Intel imac. even more of a pain.;)

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There will always be ignorant people rambling on about random junk. Just get the iMac for Jesus Christ. Stop playing the waiting game. It's gonna be outdated in a year or two anyways. What's the point of delaying that? I'd get a MacBook Pro because what if things change? Notebook offers the most flexibility and uses less power (more green) than an iMac. You can always hook up an external display if you need a bigger screen (like I do).

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Buy it now.

You will love every minute you spend with it!

Right now with computers and upgrades there is no reason to wait for the "next big thing" because honestly you aren't going to be able to see a difference from the "next" thing and the current "thing". What you will see is lost productivity waiting and waiting for new upgrades.

I bought my first mac ever last march and it still performs super fast just like the day I first opened it. I never felt the need to upgrade because it is just an amazing machine. I liked mine so much that I bought my sister a mac laptop, and I bought my parents and iMac and both are just as fast as the day they opened them. My family and I couldn't ever imagine going back to windows (even though I make a living thanks to windows :D )

If you want it now, get it now. Its going to be a fast machine. Don't worry about the upgrades speed bumps rarely make a difference.

16. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Well I ordered a 13" macbook when the unibodys came out and I was dreading the update to the macbook as I thought I'd start to dislike mine and NEED a new one.

End of the day yes I'd love to have the latest but with Apple (and most companies) you'll always end up waiting for the latest if you do that. Im perfectly happy with my macbook still and it still performs the same so I dont mind in the slightest and I'm actually glad I got mine when I did so that I got to start enjoying the mac experience sooner rather than later.

That being said I'm toying with the idea of an iMac myself but that can wait for me... I rarely use my PC desktop and do everything on my macbook so theres no rush at all :)

17. MoleSkine thread starter macrumors member

Hey psoters - thanks for all your replies. Its true, cant keep waiting for next and next and next update.
    :)

18. thatdarnfish macrumors regular

Well, I'm in the same boat you are... and I'm waiting. I figure, even if the next generation isn't a big upgrade, they'll at least be cheaper (according to the posted article from AppleInsider). Right now, I'd be paying extra for a bigger HD (1TB) on a 2.93. If the next version that comes out includes an iMac for the same price as a 2.93 and includes the 1TB HD, I'd be kicking myself.

Another factor in my decision-making is the fact that the March 2009 iMacs weren't a big upgrade over the 2008's. It stands to reason that the next versions might see a more substantial upgrade -- otherwise, the "new" iMacs would essentially be the 2008's with bigger HD's and more ram. If Apple wants to increase their sales in desktops (which, from what I understand, have been falling), I would think that they would want the next upgrade to make more of a "splash."

All of these kinds of decisions with regard to big purchases, though, are personal. I think one just has to ask oneself, "If they came out with something moderately better than what they are offering now in a few months, how upset would I be if I bought something now?" In my case, the answer is "pretty" to "very."

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I pretty much agree with that; to the OP, if you need it, buy it now, if you merely want it, then wait, but don't play the waiting game indefinitely or you'll simply torture yourself.

So, my advice would be for you to buy now, enjoy an excellent computer, and if the next updates are revolutionary in a technological way, why then sell and buy afresh if you feel you can't live without them.

Cheers and good luck

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I bought an iMac once. Guess what, it's outdated now.
    It's a fact of life man. So don't worry yourself over this issue. Just buy what & when, you want to buy.

21. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

I was worried about the new update too and hesitated for a second before ordering my new iMac. When I got it in the mail and opened and used it made me pretty happy. I think you'll enjoy it just fine. Don't wait I say..

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Any computer made in the last two years will do what you want to do. Get something. You're not using any model to its fullest extent, so you don't need the newest.

23. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

The next iMac will be a refresh, so there will be a speed bump etc. Considering what you will be doing on the iMac, the current model will do you just fine.

As a person who worked retail for 7 years and selling computers, I have to tell you that even if you purchased the latest and greatest on the very first day you could buy it, guess what? Apple has already started on the next model!

I have the first Rev A Aluminum iMac, 2.8 extreme, 24" monitor, with 4 Megs of RAM, etc. I use this iMac 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week and I use all the graphic design software on this iMac. I am using the iMac far more than you will and I have NO regrets!