Was happy for one night with 3g now unhappy again

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loskickking23, Aug 13, 2008.

1. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Can someone tell me how in the hell do you only get 1 bar of 3g signal in the house form day one and then up to all bars of 3g last night.Even this morning I had all my bars.I went down in my basement where it usually reads no service and had 3 bars.I was so happy,bragging at work about 3g working in my house now to all the people who was hating on the iphone.Got home from work and now back to one bar.Now I am pissed,that was a big teaser.Has anyone seen anything like this?

2. JWages macrumors regular

I have very inconsistent Edge signal. I'll sit in the same spot, and sometimes I'll get 3 bars, then sometimes I'll get 1/'No Service'

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

maybe the tower near your house is having problems. call up att they might send someone out to take a look at it. they did that for my friend and got it fixed.

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Mine jumps around constantly. On one side of my house it's 1 bar, other side it's 3, outside it's 5, down the street it's 2, etc. I think it might be AT&T (and not Apple) because I have an LG Shine that also does nearly the same thing (but it drops the 3G signal often, whereas my iPhone doesn't).

I use EDGE most of the time anyway (no need for 3G unless I'm using Safari and there's no wifi) and there are far less issues with signal. It's a constant 4-5 bars unless I'm in a garage or something.

5. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah,I usually keep edge on in the house and use wi fi.But its just weard how I had this phone sincse the release date and it stayed on one bar in the house and never worked in the basement.It never jumped around but last night all the way until this morning it jumped up to 5 bars and stayed never even went to 4 bars.I was so happy I was waking up every hour checking it.

6. CharQuake macrumors member

there should be an app where you can use your wifi connection to call out

7. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Radio Wave Transmission

First off before someone get's pissed at me, I am in no way defending AT&T. I am going to give a brief explanation of how radio signals can widely vary in the same spot. Howver, there is no excuse for AT&T's poor network.

That being said, I am a radar tech in the Navy. Radar is a radio wave just like 3G. The reason you could see a difference in the number of bars is radio wave propogation. Many things can affect that. Atmospherics and obstacles being the biggest, but there is also radio interference. Temperature, humidity and even sunspots can affect transmission. So I can't give you a definite answer as to why you are seeing these things, but all of the afore mentioned have an affect on radio signal strength. Add that to AT&T's immature network and this is what you'll see. Wish I had better news.

8. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

It might be how your building is built? If I am out on the patio of my apartment it is full bar edge but inside it can range from 3-4 to 1 bar/no signal. Its really annoying but the phone is amazing!

9. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The phone is amazing but has a few issues that I know will be worked out very soon.My problem is I would like to keep the 3g on all the time because I get good reception everywhere except for my house.Thats why I was so happy last night.

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Others have said this before, but stop obsessing over your bars.

I don't ever look at my bars unless I have an actual problem using the phone.

11. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Think yourself lucky you even have 3G coverage where you live. I don't. And I don't even get Edge either, just plain old GPRS :(

*hint to O2* - hurry the hell up and improve 3G coverage!!!

12. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now it's reading all bars 3g in the house but I can't go on the web.I keep getting that safari can't be found message with all 3g bars.Works with wi fi this is wild.