Was I a total sucker for buying a MB last week?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mac Love, May 12, 2008.

1. Mac Love macrumors newbie

So I bought a BlackBook last week as a graduation present from my parents and to use for college. I've never had a Mac or a laptop, so I figured I could use the extra time to get used to it before college. Now I see all these rumors about an MB overhaul...so was it dumb for me to buy my MB now? Should I have waited?

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Why put off being happy, and why let rumors ruin your happiness.

Enjoy and move on...

3. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Is what you have something that you can use and wanted?

Keep waiting and you'll never get anything - especially if you read the rumors on this board.

4. EMILinator macrumors member

The Biggest Little City In The World, USA
    No.

The MacBook is great and you will learn to love it, as i'm sure it already loves you.

5. Mac Love thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I absolutely love using it, and it does have everything I need...the rumors are just flying around here though!

But what else should I expect at macRUMORS...:)

Thanks for the insight, I guess I just needed some assurance.

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You're getting the benefit of enjoying it now. I doubt new machines are imminent. If they somehow came out within 14 days of yours, you could return yours for the restocking fee and get the new one.

Otherwise, do not stress. You're enjoying a great computer that is going to serve you very well. A 2 month since announcement Mac is about as young as they come! :)

7. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

think about it this way: the current gen mb is the best mb apple has ever made. all the kinks have been worked out, so you are getting the very best mb apple has ever offered. even if there will be a refresh, it will be the first generation of a new line of macbooks, just like the mba. because of that, it will probably have some issues.

8. Skyldig macrumors regular

There will always be something better just around the corner, and one is never dumb for buying.

The MB was just updated a few months ago, and the current model is great. I have a first gen Macbook, and i still love it.

Personally i'm waiting for the next update, but i only wait because i really don't need a MBP (i'm upgrading to the pro this time) until at least august/september. If nothing new has arrived by then, i will get myself the current model instead.
    I know that the redesign is inevitable, but i need it at september, and i will buy one there. Am i dumb for doing that? No, i would be dumb for waiting.

9. tnisatard macrumors 6502

i think you should have waited, im going to college to and im waiting, since the macbook isnt really a necessity for me right now, i can wait

plus there might be back to school sales apple has every year (well i think every year, i know they had one last year) which i could use towards a printer or something

but still a blackbook is a great buy :cool:

10. Superdelphinus macrumors regular

I bought a new macbook a couple of weeks ago too and beforehand had the same thoughts in my mind. But then i thought that i could end up waiting forever (also the rumours have gone quiet again the last few weeks), if they do change then this is the last solid generation of a design classic, and it's a beautiful well made machine

11. Mackan macrumors 65816

12. ebutka macrumors regular

ebutka

I'm buying mine today. I really want to see if there is going to be a redesign, but I would rather just get it now. For some reason it is really badass, sell it on eBay :p and then but the new one.

13. andimaciphone macrumors member

andimaciphone

If it ain't broke don't fix it

I have had my MB for quite a while now having had many PCs/notebooks prior.

It has been the best piece of kit I have had so just sit back and enjoy it.

14. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Buy it, and enjoy it. The shoulda/coulda/woulda stuff will never end. Nor will, Oh wait there's an update around the corner! Reminds me of the guy on the corner wearing a sandwich board, saying the End is near...

15. mes789 macrumors newbie

I would agree with the others and say no, you are not a sucker. There are always going to be "better" more powerful options down the line, but such is life with technology. You have to jump in at some point. That said, I'm waiting to see if they have the ipod deal this summer before buying mine, but that is also because I don't need a computer until August. :)

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Speculation is the new ones are out in August. So you could've waited and tried to get one and set it up during the pandemonium of going to college, or enjoy one now over the Summer.

17. darklyt macrumors regular

You have to balance the possible new design pluses like an aluminum case, being lighter and thinner with the hotter running temperatures and possible design flaws that are inherent with any new product. There is the cool factor, but then there is the greater chance of getting a lemon.

So the question becomes:
    1) Would any of these possible design changes be actually helpful?
    2) Are these worth possibly having to get it replaced once to fix first generation defects while you're in school?
    3) Can you live without your Macbook until the rumored redesign occurs? If not, do you have the means and time to sell your current Macbook to upgrade?

Personally, I would have waited in the first place, but I don't know if I would be willing to return something that I had in my hands at the moment.

18. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not. There is always going to be a better model for what ever you buy sooner or later its just a matter of time. You cant spend your life waiting so enjoy what you have now. I bought my Macbook in the run up to the Macbook Air and never have i regretted it.

Since it was my first mac i really enjoyed getting to know all about it over the christmas period and buy the time the Air was announced i was no longer bothered. Its a fantastic laptop (no more windows for me!) and well worth the purchase.

Living in the uk i bought a 8gb iphone in the o2 discount fully aware (how could i not be with everybody seemingly to have leaked photo's and opinions of what it will have. Just wait for the clamshell iphone leaked photo!) of the impending 3g iphone. i figured that it was better to save the extra money. I dont regret it it's the best phone i have ever had.

So enjoy your Blackbook and the summer (and college when it comes around) and you will find that it doesn't make a bit off difference in the long run.

19. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not. There is always going to be a better model for what ever you buy sooner or later its just a matter of time. You cant spend your life waiting so enjoy what you have now. I bought my Macbook in the run up to the Macbook Air and never have i regretted it.

Since it was my first mac i really enjoyed getting to know all about it over the christmas period and by the time the Air was announced i was no longer bothered. Its a fantastic laptop (no more windows for me!) and well worth the purchase.

Living in the uk i bought a 8gb iphone in the o2 discount fully aware (how could i not be with everybody seemingly to have leaked photo's and opinions of what it will have. Just wait for the clamshell iphone leaked photo!) of the impending 3g iphone. i figured that it was better to save the extra money. I dont regret it it's the best phone i have ever had.

So enjoy your Blackbook and the summer (and college when it comes around) and you will find that it doesn't make a bit of difference in the long run.

20. Mac Love thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! I see that at the rate the rumors and speculating are flying around here, I would have just gone insane with the maybe-ing...I'm a wonderfully satisfied Mac convert now :D

21. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

There will always be something new.

Macbooks was updated like two months ago, and apple usually don't update them more than twice a year, so i guess your MB will be top dog for few months more.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No you were not.

I bought a MBP 3 weeks before the new ones came out. I knew it would come out soon; I didn't give a damn. It was just luck that my first one was defective so I ended up getting the Peryn.

Don't let the rumor mills get the best of you.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope- I have the same BlackBook and I love it. If the aluminum rumors are true, then I'm even happier for getting it when I did. I need a sturdy laptop, and the BlackBook fits the bill.

24. GUILTIE macrumors regular

Don't the Macbooks crack like crazy? How is that sturdy?

25. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Well, if your a sucker for buying one last week, then I am a complete sucker for buying one tomorrow. :p

The likely hood of them being updated at WWDC is pretty low, there are rarely consumer hardware upgrades there, and it would be the shortest lifespan of a Macbook update ever. (3 months)