Was I just "phished"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dictoresno, Oct 7, 2016.

1. dictoresno, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Got an email stating my trouble ticket was closed, which I do have some open but not this number and this isnt my contact info. Links appear to bring me to apples legit website. Anyone else confirm?

Every time I try to log into my Apple ID with 2FA it says I'm near Atlanta Georgia and I'm actually in NJ.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Check the actual email sender. It may show "Apple" as the name but a 3rd party for the email if you look. I think phishing would give you a number or a link that mimics Apple to give your information. Caution.

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Doesn't sound legit then. With this sort of stuff (including 'banks' contacting you) don't reply or speak to anybody that has phoned or emailed you. Call them on a number you know is good and ask if they were trying to get hold of you.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't comment on the rest of your post, but in my experience the location given by Apple 2FA is complete and utter gibberish.

5. 3568358 macrumors 6502

Yes you have been fished. The email isn't one that apple will use, and apple will not get your name wrong. Change all accounts that use your apple id email/pass combo

If you think you're safe- you're already dead. Ive seen many people get phished and i know some people that do it actually- CHANGE PASS IMMEDIATELY!

6. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

I did change it within a minute of clicking on it.

7. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

No matter which browser I use on my phone, it keeps saying I'm near Atlanta every time I try to log into the legit apple website. Even after a reboot and cache clearing.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Yes. You were phished. If haven't, take the immediate precautions to update your account and log in information. I would also contact Apply directly.

9. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Gonna call them when I get home. Passwords have been updated within minutes. Also, checked online and there are no additional devices or purchases made on the account. Is Apple open this late?

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

No. Online chat possibly. Phone contact is out of operating hours.

11. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Why would my location for 2FA be popping up as Atlanta when my phone is properly reporting my correct location?

12. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Something to do with the way your ISP is identifying your location?

13. dictoresno, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

my ISP correctly identifies where is always does, a few towns away from my actual location. when I'm on cellular connection, it shows as Atlanta.

so I'm on the chat with apple care. they cannot confirm their automated emails come from that address or not at this time, however the case number I provided is valid. they also couldn't confirm with me that their contact info matched the one I gave them, for obvious reasons. however they and a senior advisor said they are very confident it was just a mistake. they said the advisors manually type in email addresses and they think I received someone elses confirmation email. I checked the email header in OS X and don't see anything out of the ordinary. also, the link in the email brought me to the actual apple support website, as it had the green "apple.com" verification up top. they scheduled a security team phone call in the morning, but preliminary checks so it to all add up for now.

there were no unauthorized purchases, log on attempts or password changed to my account.

The rep also sent me an email, which came from "noreply@email.apple.com" and the automated email confirming my call back in the morning came from AppleSupport@email.apple.com, same as the one in the OP. so I'm guessing it really is legitimate.

14. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Spoke with apple care. They stated it was indeed a mistake and was in fact a legitimate email. Apparently the apple care rep helping the other guy somehow linked my information to his trouble ticket. How the F does that happen? Well apple had no idea either other than it was human error. She apologized on behalf of her colleague and took my info off this other guys trouble ticket. So if this happens to anyone else, it is possible.

15. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

Thats weird I think the same thing happened to me the other day. I didnt call to check it out but didnt click anything inside the email either.

16. midnightcapybara macrumors newbie

This will help you as well. Basically, as long as you're getting the 2FA notification within a few seconds, it's you. The location is just extra security but just approximate.

HT204915 - What if I don’t recognize the location shown in my sign in notification?

When you sign in on a new device, you’ll get a notification on your other trusted devices that includes a map showing the approximate location of the new device. This is an approximate location based on the IP address the device is currently using, rather than the exact location of the device. The location shown might reflect the network you're connected to, and not your physical location.