was i stupid for selling my 8 core mac pro??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stevieapollo, Mar 3, 2009.

1. stevieapollo macrumors member

hello i sold mt 2008 3.0ghz 8 core machine because i wanted to get the new machines when they came out. im kicking myself in the ass because they dont look they amazing compared to my older machine. am i wrong? are the new machine better then mine ever at 2.66 quad core or even 2.93 vs my 3.0 8 core??

2. dimme macrumors 65816

Sorry you should of not sold it. I think we are at the point where it is not worth upgrading every year. Hopefully you will not lose too much when you buy a new one. At least you get a 1 year warranty.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The new bottom end 2.26Ghz is roughly equivalent to your 3.0Ghz machine, and the 2.66/2.92Ghz units will thrash it. The key difference is architecture rather than pure clock speed.

Your 3.0/8 is probably faster than the quad core machines, but it was also worth more.

4. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

yes as peskaa said look beyond the clock speed. Nehalem brought a whole lot of internal changes.

You could wait and see what mac world has to say about performance.(they usually are quick in getting speed test together) Plus the standard configs ship right away so just keep checking macworld.

The new machines should have faster processors, graphics cards, more standard ram, and bigger stock hd's.

what were the other specs of your old MP?

5. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I was thinking about selling mine, but now I am confused :confused:

Each setup does not really sound appealing to me.

The 2.66 quad vs 2.26 8-core.

Ughhhhh! :mad:

I can't figure out which is better.

This is making me think I should just keep my 8-core 2.8ghz system.

Maybe grab the 4870 and call it a day.

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

7. paulg1979 macrumors member

This is what I'm doing. I've got the same as you and going to buy a 4870 and the 24" LED display. I think next year will be a better upgrade.

They seem a bit expensive too

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

id let a few people grab some of the new pros and get some benchmarks and reviews going out see what kind of realistic performance it handles and kind of goes over the new ins and out of this machine.

it looks nice, but its alittle different from what weve had before in the macpros/prosumer desktops.

i had both the 2.66quad (first gen) and the 2.8=octo(2nd gen) and they were both top performers and im pretty certain these new systems will just blow away alot of the previous offerings...maybe not in all aspects but the way architecture handles cpu and memory processing as well as gettiong some good quality graphics...but again just wait to see alittle bit until they get out into the wild before you up and ditch your current system.

9. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

you can't just "grab the 4870", it's not compatible.
    apple wants you to waste your money and buy a whole new machine.

10. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Huh? It won't work with the 2008 machines? I doubt that is true.

11. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

12. paulg1979 macrumors member

13. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I'm guessing now that the 4870 is available for mac, ATI will release a 5870 next week for PC/Windows.

14. casw1000 macrumors member

I have the 2008 Oct core MP and love it. I was also waiting (not to upgrade mind you) to see the expected new updated machine. TBH whilst I am sure this will be a fast machine, I am very dissapointed by the cost of the machine. Lets face it, the 'entry' level is a single quad core with 4 memory slots supporting up to 8GB. Wow really.

When you look at the basic 8 core machine holy moses, look at the price, it jumps up to £24xx.

So it looks like the new mac pros are not even using tri-channel memory either as the 8 core has 8 slots, er, just like the 2008 model. Sure its newer DDR-3 memory etc etc, but I cannot help to think these are priced wrong, plain and simple.

If anyone is buying these new machines, I hope you enjoy, I am not trying to knock your new purchase, but given the current hard financial times, I would certainly not want to buy the entry 4 core version.

Just my views of course.
    Casw1000
    fold4life.com

15. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Seems like the people who bought last year, were the lucky ones.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No you shouldnt kick yourself, actually you should be happy.

The 2.26ghz mac pro is equivalent to the 3.2ghz previous gen mac pro so the lowest end mac pro will actually be much faster than the 3.0ghz mac pro that you've just sold.

Not to mention no real benchmarks yet especially with the ATI 4870 might run faster on the newer nehalem mac pros as to the last gen.

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Also basing on extrapolations, I don't see it. Equivalent (2.26 Gainestown) to the 2.8GHz Harpertown perhaps, but not the 3.2GHz part. It would require a higher clock frequency Xeon 5500 series part to do that. Probably the 2.53 or 2.66Ghz .

I've just not seen that much of an improvement between the two, though it's notable. Just not an extraordinary leap. ;)

18. stevieapollo thread starter macrumors member

are we talking 4 or 8 cores. so what you are saying is the new 4 core will be faster and a better machine then my 3.0 8 core? i just noticed that you have to buy the top end mac pro to be able to upgrade the ram above 8gb...not a big deal i guess i would never in my wildest dreams be able to use more then 8 gb of ram with what i do..

19. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

How much did you get for you Octo?

Do have enough money to buy the quad or the new octo?

20. stevieapollo thread starter macrumors member

idk if your talking to me. but i sold my 8 core mac pro for 2700 it was basically a new machine and had 8 cores @ 3.0ghz.

i just dont see me getting a better machine if i were to put that money into a 4 core mac pro.. i could be wrong but i just don't know these things yet does anyone. i guess the smartest thing to do would to buy the new 17 inch macbook pro @ 2.93ghz just seems like the far better value for laptop that is powerful enough to do video as well as audio work and still be portable.

21. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Yeah I have been thinking about going all Laptop too.

Just the hard drive space that worries me.

22. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i'm going completely portable now after selling off both my previous macpros, whil ethey were strong machines, portability is alot more convenient for the power the new systems provide...and harddrive space will continue to increase...500GB is currently the largest internal storage drive available.

but i tend to keep the internal drive fairly modest 250-500gb and keep everything external/off-site.