Was iOS 6.0 a stable release? Do you think iOS 7 will be?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by thedeejay, Jul 12, 2013.

?

When should one update to the new software?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2013.
  1. Right at Launch. Go ahead, no probs.

79.5%
  2. Wait till 7.0.1 to ensure stability

20.5%
  1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Looking back at iOS 6 release date, I don't really remember what it was like. If it was stable or not. Now that iOS 7 is a complete redesign, I'm sure it won't be as stable as iOS 6 was. Or maybe it will. What do you guys think? Hold off or update at Launch/soon after?

2. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

iOS 6 was the most buggy release of iOS imo. SO it may not be a good benchmark
    iOS 3, 4 and 5 were incredible in terms of stability. iOS killed that track record with shoddy battery life, overheating and broken features - my wi-fi hotspot still sucks. on iOS 5, it worked 100% of the time.
    Hopefully iOS 7 goes back to the old ways.

3. Paddle1 macrumors 68020

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

We still have awhile to go before launch and I have no doubt that 99.9% of all bugs present in beta 3 will be ironed prior to launch. There is always that bug that never ends up being fixed which is why I don't say 100%.

5. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

They're releasing new betas like there's no tomorrow. Engineers at Apple are working harder than ever. I'm confident iOS 7 will be stable.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I skipped 1 and 2 this time due to expecting disaster. Only just dived in with beta 3 on wednesday.

5 and 6 betas had both major app instabilities and brokenness.

Beta 3 doesn't seem so bad as them. There are lots of quirks and UI inconsistency, a few major weird glitches. But all apps are working, which is more than I can say for 5 and 6 betas.

7. emckai macrumors regular

Even though iOS 6 was somewhat buggy, Apple was able to release updates pretty quickly.

Once iOS 7 is released and if there are reported bugs, Apple will probably roll out 7.0.1 by the following week.

8. clockworkorange macrumors regular

I never jump in a x.0 release, learned from experience that anything "1st gen" from apple tends to have some major issues. The 6.0 release was somewhat issue free, but far from stable.

I won't be upgrading to iOS 7 on release, I'll wait it out for a 7.0.2 or 7.1 update (unless there's a jailbreak, then, all bets are off)

9. TC25 macrumors 68020

Yes, everyone must begin planning now for the release of iOS7 in the fall. :rolleyes:

10. matttye macrumors 601

Maps was terrible, but aside from that it didn't seem too bad.

11. Andy-V macrumors 6502

They've basically redesigned the whole OS in a matter of months, so the release version of iOS7 will have bugs, I'm sure of it. But nothing that's going to make your phone unusable.

12. 1member1 macrumors 6502

iOS 6 was great. I had iPhone 4 back then and i installed on day one. besides maps and youtube that were missing for me everything else was smooth and without bugs.
    I hope iOS 7 will be smooth as iOS 6.

13. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

When I got my iPhone 5, it ran iOS 6.0 it had some bugs but 6.0.1 fixed most of the problems.

14. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Are there any benefits to doing it right away? Like I think if you do it right away and don't like it you can revert to iOS 6 right? What's that window like. How long before they close it off.

15. shenfrey macrumors 68000

The biggest bugs right now are due to third party apps.

16. heyyoudvd macrumors regular

iOS 6 completely broke Wi-Fi syncing for me (and to this date, it still hasn't been fixed).

Aside from that big one, I didn't encounter too many bugs.

17. taedouni macrumors 65816

iOS 7 is pretty stable for a beta 3 when considering the amount of changed to the OS. Some people lack the understanding that third party apps do not support iOS 7 and cannot be updated to support iOS 7 until iOS 7 is released.

18. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Has iOS 7 fixed the memory issue? Like when there's a huge influx of messages the phone used to lag. Or from time to time it has a problem between page swipes.

19. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I am pretty sure I installed ios 6 beta on either 1 or 2 and it was pretty close to release ready.
    I don't remember having any issues except a few apps that were not compatible.

I waited for beta 3 on ios 7 and I am wondering how they are going to have it ready in a few months.

It is very usable on my iPhone 5 but it screams beta every time I use my phone.
    Selecting a wallpaper shouldn't crash the settings app every other time on a 3rd beta.
    I get notification sounds but nothing on my lock screen.

The iPad version is a different story altogether. That seems like an alpha release.
    That thing would crash on every 5th touch in almost any app. Herky jerky UI would be an understatement.
    I couldn't uninstall it fast enough.

The developers and bug testers need to put down the hackey sack game and get to work. Maybe get some serious beta testers in there.

20. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Is it really that bad? What phone are you running if you don't mind me asking? Maybe I'll hold off on the initial .0 release then. Wait to hear reviews, and what people think of it and how smooth it runs on demo phones at Apple before I upgrade, cuz after that I'd be SOL.

21. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

To me, it's not bad, but I would never touch it if I needed my phone for business.
    It is very usable on the phone (iPhone 5, AT&T) but little things like guaranteed crashes every 5 steps you do something, especially in 1st party apps, is a little concerning that they will get their act together in a few months.

Here is another example last night, I had the phone in front of me while I was watching TV. It vibrated and made a sound but nothing on the display.
    That never happened in iOS6.

That said, I would hate to go back to iOS6. As an OS, I am loving iOS7.

On my iPad, 3rd gen AT&T, it was another story. Jittery, jerky; check mail? crash, go into settings? crash, swipe gesture to switch apps? crash, play a song in the music app? why waste the calories pressing the icon with your finger?