Was iPhone availability this bad with previous launches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FiremanMike, Nov 5, 2014.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

I've never really paid attention in the past, was in store iPhone availability this bad for this long with the previous launches?

Just wondering, no reason for flaming..

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, for the most part. Inventory was constrained through November in prior releases.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. Nipommu macrumors regular

i think nothing will top the iphone 4 and the 6. i remember waiting in line (not over night) for over 3 hours for the 4 having turned around because they ran out. visited around 4 malls for the apple store. i didn't get it until the 2 month mark after release. i am guessing it'll be the same thing for this if not worse. but many say its going to be after christmas to get your hands on the 6+ which i doubt...

just follow the istocknow or ashbalu if u r in canada. i just saw the 64 plus available in the eaton center here in toronto.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Definitely seems worse if your trying to get a 6 plus. I finally got mine a couple of days ago, longest time I ever had to wait from launch. Usually I would get thee the night of the launch or the next day and maybe at most wait 30-45 min in line (the 4s I got the day after launch while on my lunch break, no one in line). This year there was just not stock and every time I checked they sold out almost immediately.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes and I think having twice as many models makes inventory even hard to maintain

7. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Rofl, this thread may have been my good luck charm.. Thanks to istocknow, I'm now holding my new iPhone 6.. :)

8. themyst macrumors 6502

out of the past few iOS devices:

iPad 2 was pretty bad
    iPad 3/4 not bad at all
    iPhone 5 was awful
    iPhone 5S wasn't horrible unless you wanted Gold

IMO, the iPhone 6 Plus availability is the worst I've seen in any iPhone release, particularly 64GB.

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

It's just the Apple Stores from what I can tell. All the local stores I went to today had plenty in stock

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The 6, maybe, you'll struggle with the 6 plus though.

11. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502a

Cyberguycpt

In Los Angeles inventory seems to be improving. There was a time when the 6 plus nowhere to be found on T-Mobile on Apple.com now there everywhere.

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Yup, I found it quite difficult to find the 4 in December 2010. It was pretty easy to get the 5s (16gb) last December, though my dad couldn't find a 32gb model for a few weeks.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The iPhone 5 was bad as well.. I got mine in late December.

14. JobsGang macrumors regular

JobsGang

Took me over a month to get an iPhone 5 and I ordered just before Halloween that year.

15. spiderpumpkin macrumors member

Was iPhone availability this bad with previous launches?

A lot of scalpers buying iPhones at my local Apple Store. They get in line, buy and then return to line and buy again. Repeat many times and also have their whole family with them doing the same thing.

16. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

This angers me to no end. Apple needs to grow a pair and do something about this.

17. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

It angers you that people are allowed to buy whatever they want with their own money?

18. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Yes this year was horrible for me. I've had to wait til the 3rd day to get my 6+. No, but really, I've been one lucky guy.

3G can't remember when but I didn't wait whenever it was
    4 the day of launch
    5 the day of launch
    6+ two days after launch

19. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The 4 was the worst for me. Took months to get one on contract. 5 was terrible as well. By the time 6 came around I knew the ropes and preordered.

20. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I suppose I have bad memory. I pre-ordered the 5 and then was disappointed only to find out, one could easily walk in almost any Apple Store and buy any variation. That's why this year I didn't bother pre-ordering. Turns out, I'm glad I waited bc I don't think I would have pre-ordered the plus.

21. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yes. It was worse in some ways with the 5s. No preorders.

It was also rough with the 4. No white at launch because of manufacturing issues.

----------

5s was bad on launch day because silver AND gold were hard to find and there were no preorders.

64GB is like the 32GB now. Which means they are not producing as many of them. 16 and 128 are bigger sellers.

22. bushman4 macrumors 68000

people are already shopping for the holidays. Supply of the 6+ seems lean &mean at best. Face it Apple came out with 2 great iPhones and people really want them not to mention that the carriers have some good plans which is pushing sales as well.

23. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Read the quote: I am referring to scalpers. There is NO reason to buy bags of iPhones unless you are a scalper. That is what angers me.

24. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

what made the 6/6+ release bad this year was online pre-order technical issues... that and ordering online for people with AT&T NEXT was/is a nightmare...

for the 4, I went to an Apple store after work on launch day, waited 2-3 hours and got one... thats in NYC...

the 5, I was able to pre-order at 3:01am on their pre-order launch...

25. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I remember waiting in line for about an hour to get my 3G. Stood in front of an AT&T store and made friends with the other people in line. Walked in, no reservations, just asked for a black 3G and had it set up and was on my way. That was the last time I went to a physical store for the iPhone on launch day.

I did go to a T-Mobile store to get a 5S, but it was a few weeks after launch. I just called around to some local stores to see who had any stock, and found a place right near me with a 32 GB space grey. Swung by and picked it up, it was the only one they had. I got lucky on that one.

For the 6 Plus, I pre-ordered. Stayed up half the night waiting for T-Mobile's site to work because I wanted to use their financing plan. Ended up calling when customer service opened, and lucked out and got my phone the Monday after launch. After that experience though, I learned to get it from Apple or wait until there's stock in stores.